Latest topics
» First post of 2017 ?!
by Celstrial Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

» First Post of 2016?
by Payton Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

» Merry Xmas
by Altera Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm

» Your Awesome Pictures X
by Rage Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

» TR
by DigDog Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

» Wonderful Memories
by Mrsebi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

» Cool New Music
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

» Posting in these forums
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 am

» What College Are You Attending?
by Mrsebi Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:51 pm

Top posting users this week

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V



Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

Log in

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 


Rechercher Advanced Search


Flash v. RMXP.

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Flash or RMXP

60% 60% 
[ 6 ]
40% 40% 
[ 4 ]
 
Total Votes : 10

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by SilentCoder on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:27 am

Do you have a demo of the game? I'm interested as too how far your progress is. Also, in order to progress the game programming wise you do not need art... so that's really not a reason to not make progress on a game.

Edit: Forgive my ignorance, I didn't realize RMXP was RPG maker... I can promise you right now that what I'm working on is MUCH more powerful than RPG maker... This game will be able to be online and playable (the same game, with the same people, etc) on all three platforms (PC, Wii, and PSP). Future update, long term support, and so much more will be available and much more viable if you choose to go with a programming language. This is not my forum though and as such I will not attempt to act like it is, I'm just simply giving you an offer because I'm eager to make this game and I'd be happy to make your idea come to life.

--Jake
avatar
SilentCoder
New Member

Zard :
Number of posts : 10
User Points : 2760
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by Peregrine on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:41 am

>We have two coders already
>Erik says he found a third coder who wants to be in charge of coding completely replacing the other two
>We're also apparently making the game for Wii and PSP now
>Only one guy has even given his opinion at this point
>Suddenly guy barges in before we make a decision
>"Yo, I'm the dude that is making the game."
>"if I say I need something done, I really do need it done"
>Gives us tirade about using RMXP is a bad idea even though flash won the poll and that's what we're using
>"This is not my forum though and as such I will not attempt to act like it is"

Oh god what is this even how much did I drink I'm going to bed

_________________




[The Strange Adventures of Unimaginatively Named Characters]
Xusha: Never Forget
avatar
Peregrine
Justice
Justice

Zard : Peregrine's rock.
Number of posts : 2007
User Points : 748559
Location : La Maison.

View user profile http://twitter.com/PerryPeregrine

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by SilentCoder on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:02 am

All I did was give my opinion and offered what I had to give... but I guess you made yourself look cool by saying you drank a lot right? Also, the same applies for flash so my statement(s) are still valid. If you are going to try to be a MrSebi the least you could do is a tiny bit of research. I read about your guys progress, and I've tried to find info on your game. I heard that you guys have tried to start it up multiple times but have failed. I have a working demo that runs on all three platforms. I am currently working on the network side of the game and I'm setting up the server as we speak. I simply am offering my work to a group of people that seem to be interested in something that is my passion, for you to try and attack me for no reason is both immature and off-putting. I'm not one to judge and because you said you've "drank a lot" I'm just going to assume that you didn't mean to come off the way I read it.

Edit: ">I'm the dude that's making the game". Yes I am the dude that's making the game. I was working on this game before I even heard about your forums, this game was being developed for another group of people of which gave up due to lack of people... I continued with the project.


Last edited by SilentCoder on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
SilentCoder
New Member

Zard :
Number of posts : 10
User Points : 2760
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by DigDog on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:04 am

> tell other people to do research first
> don't know we switched to Flash and what the progress is

And I already told you that not the coders are (were) the problem for the development coming to a halt (three times).
avatar
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 142144
Age : 34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by SilentCoder on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:07 am

Fair enough, can you please tell me what is halting the development then?
avatar
SilentCoder
New Member

Zard :
Number of posts : 10
User Points : 2760
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by DigDog on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:10 am

DigDog wrote:You might notice that the lack of coder isn't the problem why this thing is stalling, it's the lack of art and script that brought this development to a halt.
It's right up there. Right up there.

> tell other people to do research first
> not read other people's posts
avatar
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 142144
Age : 34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by SilentCoder on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:11 am

No, up there you guys say art. In my other post I've already said that art is not a reason to not develop a game... In fact my demo was made with art in paint and art found on the internet...
avatar
SilentCoder
New Member

Zard :
Number of posts : 10
User Points : 2760
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by DigDog on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:15 am

DigDog wrote:[...]and script[...]
Can't do much without a script. And I don't intend coding tons of placeholder towns with placeholder art and placeholder npcs just to find out two years later that nobody bothers to make art or a script for the game.
avatar
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 142144
Age : 34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by SilentCoder on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:18 am

You don't code towns.... That's what I'm trying to tell you. All of that is handled through the map editor and txt files... The only thing the code does is make everything work... right now I could make 100 different maps and not have to touch the code... and they would all work.
avatar
SilentCoder
New Member

Zard :
Number of posts : 10
User Points : 2760
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by Darre on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:30 am

Pere wrote the script, it's pretty much finished. Although you say that art is not something to stop a game from being made it is still a factor. You may understand that we don't have a "almost no art or no good art" situation, we literally have a situation where no art is being made at all on anything. This project has essentially stopped yet again. When you come in here suddenly offering help that's great and we appreciate but it can't really happen with absolutely no imagery.

EDIT: Welcome to TR!
avatar
Darre
pɐɹɹǝ ʇɐןʞs ndsıpǝ poʍu

Number of posts : 1991
User Points : 51884
Age : 681
Location : Stereotypical Igloo, Canada

View user profile http://www.darretobe.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by DigDog on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:33 am

If Jake wants to code a game full of placeholder art, he can go ahead and do it, I don't care. I'll wait and see if we get some actual art and script together before I make further moves and sink time into a project that's going nowhere. Because I'm not 16 anymore and not able to sink hours and hours into random stuff that might end up getting nowhere. My time is too scarce and precious for that.

Now I'll go to work. Seeya.
avatar
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 142144
Age : 34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by SilentCoder on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:41 am

Kk, sorry to bother your forum. I'm not offering to help with a flash game, my game is on a little bit larger scale than that... I obviously was given the wrong information of your situation. I'm sure I've come across as an ignorant ass that is barging into your forum and claiming ownership of your game, but that's not what I was trying to do. Sorry for causing a mess, but please realize that I do have a side and if one of you would just pm me and talk via IM you'd see that I'm not just talking out my ass. Best of luck with your game, I'd love to watch its' progress.

Edit: Dig dog, you ARE an ignorant asshole. I promise you that I know more about actual game development than you do. Also, I have a job and work everyday... and it's not a "16 year old" job anyway. I am working on a project to support a nation-wide system that monitors, tracks, and sees through opertions that deal with aerospace manufacturing. I have probably gone to more business meetings, done more training hours, and have worked more than you have your whole life. Don't sit there behind your computer thinking you're better than somebody because you're 27. I have respect for your forum, and your game, but I now have zero respect for you.


Last edited by SilentCoder on Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
SilentCoder
New Member

Zard :
Number of posts : 10
User Points : 2760
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by Darre on Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:59 am

Rule number one: Make good first impressions.

To us you are somebody we just "met" and our first impressions are that you feel like you need to take over the game for some reason and that you have zero respect for a member of our group. Not the best way to start.

I understand that you're mad but you don't need to insult somebody then talk yourself up, we don't care. Maybe we should all just take a second and cool off? Try reading through the "Mission One - The Tutorial" thread to see what we have, which is basically just Pere's map and script/story, then we can try again.
avatar
Darre
pɐɹɹǝ ʇɐןʞs ndsıpǝ poʍu

Number of posts : 1991
User Points : 51884
Age : 681
Location : Stereotypical Igloo, Canada

View user profile http://www.darretobe.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by SilentCoder on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:11 pm

I didn't insult him in the first place... he's the one who started being an ass to me. Like I said I realize what my first impression was because I would be saying the same thing you guys are if some guy did this to one of my forums. I'll just read around and watch how you guys do, I thought I ended pretty well with my post, but then I read his and I couldn't just let him be a douche just like you couldn't just let me talk crap on your forum. Good luck on your game, hopefully we can meet on better terms again.

Edit:
Alright, I checked out the post you told me to and some others. I'm just going to forget about everything else and say that yes I was ignorant and should have read up on way more than I did. I just got excited because I realized the opportunities and wanted to get going right away... I tend to be very ambitious. Now as far as what I've read, I see that you guys were debating on whether you should develop it with RPGMaker or Flash. With RMXP it would be more of a Pokemon styled game correct? While with flash it would be more of a slash m' up [sidescroller?]. If you are choosing to do the flash version I don't think I can be much help, while I do know flash actionscript (btw it's very easy and you'll have no problem teaching other members if needed) the game I'm currently developing is made with C++ and the SDL API. I realize that I sounded as if I was trying to replace your coders, but I didn't even know you had any (again, my ignorance shows). If you guys were interested in more of the Pokemon styled game though I do think you should really look into what I've done. Though in an actual programming languange rather than a scripting languange, your current coders wouldn't have a problem learning either 1. The basics of C/C++ (Which is good for them if they want to expand their programming knowledge anyway), or 2. A simple wrapper that I could write to simplify the code. I really don't want to be an enemy here and I'm sorry if I made it seem that way, if you would allow me to I would really like for us to maybe make a skype group or something with all the developers, just so I can get a better understanding of what you guys are trying to do and if you would want my help in any of it. Again, sorry for the ignorance and arrogance that I have displayed on this thread and as for DigDog I don't mean to come across as a jackass so please excuse this first impression and let's see if we can't work together, kk?


Last edited by SilentCoder on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
avatar
SilentCoder
New Member

Zard :
Number of posts : 10
User Points : 2760
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by DigDog on Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:10 pm

SilentCoder wrote:Dig dog, you ARE an ignorant asshole. I promise you that I know more about actual game development than you do. Also, I have a job and work everyday... and it's not a "16 year old" job anyway. I am working on a project to support a nation-wide system that monitors, tracks, and sees through opertions that deal with aerospace manufacturing. I have probably gone to more business meetings, done more training hours, and have worked more than you have your whole life. Don't sit there behind your computer thinking you're better than somebody because you're 27. I have respect for your forum, and your game, but I now have zero respect for you.
I'm not ignorant. And it's good to know that you've started working at age 6. You must have had a busy childhood.

Also, nice going there, calling me an ignorant asshole and then starting to brag about how awesome you are and that you're most probably better than me in any way, even though you don't know anything about me. You think you're better than me? You're the same hypocritical asshole you call me.

That's not how it works bro, you can't say "Sorry if I seem that way but I'm not an asshole" and then behave like one two sentences later. You're a funny guy.

Oh and I've been an ass to you because you came in here and immediately started being a hypocritical i-am-better-than-you-all jerk.

Cause and effect.

Now with that said, please go and read up about this game in the serveral threads this subforum contains. I don't know what exactly Erik told you but this game is neither supposed to be an MMO nor is it really required to release it on the PSP or Wii (if it ever gets done that is). It's a tad too ambitious I think. Maybe your resources are better used elsewhere.
avatar
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 142144
Age : 34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by Tim Hortans on Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:42 pm

ya

Spoiler:
is anyone willing to tl;dr this for me? i read the first few posts but this is the first i've been up before noon in months
avatar
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard :
Number of posts : 3156
User Points : 226795
Location : CRESCENT FRESH!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by Erik on Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Read the edit to the post Dig.

_________________



~~~digdog sux club~~~
avatar
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard :
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1043561
Age : 23
Location : Firelink Shrine

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by DigDog on Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:03 am

Fair enough.

Can someone do me a favor and look through the threads to gather together what we already decided and what we still have to decide? To my knowledge we didn't even decide yet what the game should look like. Some are talking about pixel art which would result in a Pokemon-style game and some others were talking about vector images and whatnot and a battle system inspired by AQ.

It is still my opinion that we should first decide on the basics before we go deep into coding.

I know C++ as well, in case you decide to use that language. Even though with Flash we'd have a game that can be run in the browser.
avatar
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 142144
Age : 34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by Darre on Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:58 am

I know no coding what so ever so I'm just going to leave it to our actual coders to choose which program they feel like doing it in.

I'm pretty sure we decided nothing about what the game was going to look like, however there were general ideas. We were going to make the game look like what the previous attempts had done. Which was an overhead view pokemon-like game with aq-left-to-right style battle scenes. However every version I have found of the flash game doesn't exist anymore.

For Tim:
Erik found coder. Coder comes in "acting like he owns the place" without reading in. Dig and Pere (mostly Dig) argue that a coder isn't the reason why we haven't started, but its art. Coder argues that that's a stupid reason because art is easy. Dig argues back. Coder reads an explanation why art is a problem and acts peaceful, then sees Dig's post and takes offense and insults Dig. I try to say calm down everybody. Coder apologizes and starts to be constructive and polite. Dig doesn't notice because Coder's edit wasn't there and is still arguing. Erik tells him to read Coder's post. Everything is good and we're back on track.
It's still long but, shorter than normal.



Last edited by Darre on Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
avatar
Darre
pɐɹɹǝ ʇɐןʞs ndsıpǝ poʍu

Number of posts : 1991
User Points : 51884
Age : 681
Location : Stereotypical Igloo, Canada

View user profile http://www.darretobe.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by DigDog on Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:55 am

Dig doesn't notice somehow and is still arguing.
At the time of my post his edit wasn't there.
avatar
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 142144
Age : 34

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by SilentCoder on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:06 am

Hey, really quick I just want to clear this up. I never said art was easy, I wanted to be an artist before I was a programmer and I gave up because it was EXTREMELY hard (at least for me it was). What I was saying was that you don't have to have the final art for your game done in order to get the mechanics of the game working, that's all. For example, let's say the demo Erik posted of my game was 100% complete, you could completely change the art in it without having to even touch a text file. I was not trying to bash artists at all, sorry for the confusion.

Edit: Just to input my opinion on the style you guys are deciding on, I think that if you were going to make it online you should defiantly go with the Pokemon style. With that said, if you were imagining a cool single player campaign-oriented RPG then I feel like a slash 'm up sidescroller would be really cool (more of a castle crasher's style if you will).
avatar
SilentCoder
New Member

Zard :
Number of posts : 10
User Points : 2760
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by Arch Fiend on Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:37 pm

we bringing this thread back to life? i meen i wanna help but i got aqw art to do now (even though its still not successful) i still think flash is the way to go, art wize im just GOOD at it, and its not hard for me to do because its intresting where bit stuff kills me sometimes idk, i really lost mager mager enthusiasum in it a while back.
avatar
Arch Fiend
The Epic Knight
The Epic Knight

Number of posts : 334
User Points : 81818
Location : Epic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by Darre on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:18 pm

And everybody else lost interest way before you. Notice how even though somebody comes back and brings life into a thread for a bit nothing happens at all for the project. This will probably continue and result in nothing happening. so don't worry about having to postpone aqw art. Unless you and coder want to do the project by yourselves you can just keep on not caring.
avatar
Darre
pɐɹɹǝ ʇɐןʞs ndsıpǝ poʍu

Number of posts : 1991
User Points : 51884
Age : 681
Location : Stereotypical Igloo, Canada

View user profile http://www.darretobe.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by Arch Fiend on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:49 pm

well if this aqw thing dont turn out by nov, il puting it away and moving on, if anything i get experiance from it. but idk bout trtg, i wanna work on a serious game these days, but like i said idk, we'll see what the future pans out
avatar
Arch Fiend
The Epic Knight
The Epic Knight

Number of posts : 334
User Points : 81818
Location : Epic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by SilentCoder on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:58 pm

Ok, if I may have a whack at this again this is why I offered what I did. Arch are you only willing to do it in flash? Because I'm willing to create the entire game by myself, all I'd need is art for when the game is complete. I have a friend that can do the sound, etc. Now, I'm not saying this because I want to take over the project I'm saying this because Darre said "Unless you and coder want to do the project by yourselves you can just keep on not caring". With this option I'm offering you don't really have to care at all ^.^ Also, if your coders want to help on the project I can get them in to... I'm not trying to exclude anyone here. Please let me know what you think, if you have any ideas and or problems just let me know. I wanna help you guys create this game. The other thing is though, I still don't know what kind of game you want as in style,mmo vs single player rpg, etc. Is there anyone who cares about the project that I could talk to =P You said the coders were active correct?
avatar
SilentCoder
New Member

Zard :
Number of posts : 10
User Points : 2760
Age : 24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Flash v. RMXP.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum