[TR] - Take Away Tom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mod Conference Room is Feeling Weak
by V Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

» First post of 2017 ?!
by Celstrial Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

» First Post of 2016?
by Payton Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

» Merry Xmas
by Altera Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm

» Your Awesome Pictures X
by Rage Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

» TR
by DigDog Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

» Wonderful Memories
by Mrsebi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

» Cool New Music
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

» Posting in these forums
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 am

Top posting users this week
No user

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame.

+5
Lady Morri
Shadow
Tim Hortans
Flaw of Insanity
Cial
9 posters

Go down

The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. Empty The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame.

Post by Cial Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:34 am

I'd like to start this thread, because I want to discuss with you guys, sophistically, video game theology, theory and the greatest games of all time.

Mind you, this is not a list-your-favorite-games thread. It's meant for intellectual discussion on the games that make gaming an up-and-coming art form. So pull up a chair, grab some Portal cake and join the discussion with your monocle on.

First off, I'm bringing to the table Bioshock. It's almost impossible to hate this masterpiece of gamery unless you live in a cave or are one of those girly-girly types that gets sick running down a hall in an FPS. the storyline is excellent, it makes you think about your everyday life, the world and keeps you guessing until the end. But the gaming itself is a feat as well. The game is hard to beat, but you can do it with the intuitive RPG elements. And boss fights are hard as well, occasionally grueling. But they give you a sense of accomplishment in the end most games lack.

Discuss, bring forth your opinions on other games, please, don't be shy.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Zard : The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. 2djta8i
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 142343

Back to top Go down

The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. Empty Re: The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame.

Post by Flaw of Insanity Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:53 am

I'm bringing Nostalgia to the table with the Doom series.

The story line is pretty non-existant, the graphics are old and 8 bit, and the Looking up and down feature wasn't implemented until Doom 3.

But like, common. This game is fun, that's all I care about. I can play it for hours because it's enjoyable.

My other nomination is Minecraft.

Also, Bioshock, definitely.
Flaw of Insanity
Flaw of Insanity
Ready for take off.

Zard : The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. 2ebtl7c
Number of posts : 2856
User Points : -2147228004

http://flaw-of-insanity.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. Empty Re: The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame.

Post by Tim Hortans Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:01 am

This thread is absolutely impossible, because frankly, the variations and sheer amount of games make it unrealistic to believe that you can narrow down every video game to the 'best'.

However, I'll bite. I'd say by far, two of the most innovative games I've seen lately are Limbo (Available for download on XBox Live) and Minecraft (currently in development, set to release Beta in 4 days.

To start off, Limbo. The concept of the game is unlike any I have ever seen. It is essentially, a young boy running around in a dark world, trying to solve puzzles while avoiding countless opportunities of death (ranging from spikes, drowning, falling rocks, to a spider 100 times your size chasing after you). After that, the art style is unlike anything I have ever seen, in a completely 2d, black and white world where the game looks almost like the shadow of what's actually happening. It's an amazing game, and by far one of the most creative I have seen.

The second, Minecraft, is a 3D game currently being tested by Notch (Game developer) and his small crew. It is essentially, a building game, however it goes SO much farther. Basically, you are alone in this new world, with nothing built. You are left with no tools but your fists, in an unknown area, and you have to survive. You run around in this gigantic world, gathering supplies, making tools, mining ores, creating contraptions and houses, and slowly advancing in your lifestyle on a deserted island. The game even incorporates wiring and circutry, as well as physics that are close (Though not COMPLETELY the same) as real life. Some blocks, like sand and gravel, are affected by gravity. Water and lava flows, wooden objects catch fire, snow and ice melts, among other things. There are biomes in the world so you can travel to different areas and experience different climates. Even though the art style isn't particularly amazing (based off of blocks so there are no smooth inclines or anything like that), it is almost fully customizable by downloading different textures.

The best thing however is the mobs. There are pigs jumping around, cows, and chickens currently that inhabit the world. They aren't just dull animals, either. If a cow falls into water and can't get out, it will start to moo with a distressed tone. If you kill one pig, the others will try and stay away from you.

I'm going to stop talking now, I've spent twenty minutes typing.
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard : The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. Whitecc
Number of posts : 3156
User Points : 228803

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:52 am

Halo: CE. It defined what the FPS's of today are, and the popularity it caused ensured the Xbox 360 was released.
Shadow
this is a title

Number of posts : 3430
User Points : 572095

Back to top Go down

Post by Lady Morri Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:22 am

I'd have to say that this thread is going to go far, given the huge amount of space we have to cover.

I'd like to bring a classic platformer to this little chess board. Klonoa is a series that has only spawned two games and one remake but its unique style is more then worthy of notation. The character controls a vibrant character in an even more energized and vibrant world of strange enemies with cartoon-like artwork. Defeating enemies and creatures on this old PS1 classic is where it really gets interesting though, the player controls Klonoa to grab enemies and hold them on their ring to use to absorb attacks, attack, jump and trigger switches. The remake on the Wii and the sequel on the PS2 were both entertaining as well, and the this little known series can give any well established platformer a run for its money any day.
Lady Morri
Lady Morri

Number of posts : 113
User Points : 5489

Back to top Go down

Post by Flaw of Insanity Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:01 am

@ Tim - Limbo looks amazing. This I agree on.
@ Shadow - Agreed, Halo: CE is the father to FPS. The grandfather being Doom and Wolfenstein.
@ Morri - Hmm, haven't heard of it. Sounds cool though.
Flaw of Insanity
Flaw of Insanity
Ready for take off.

Zard : The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. 2ebtl7c
Number of posts : 2856
User Points : -2147228004

http://flaw-of-insanity.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:43 am

I bring to the table Paper Mario. Paper Mario is a stat based game brought to the Nintendo 64, with three simple stats. Health, Flower Power, and Badge Power. Badges allow you to equip abilities, some constant and others are in-game moves. Flower Power is the energy required to use these moves. Health is self-explanatory.

The main components of this game that make it so great is the artwork, storyline, and even the gameplay.

The artwork of Paper Mario is all to make everything look like its made of paper, yet also look 3D. The game could have been made with decent Nintendo 64 graphics, but the creators chose to make it with this unique art style instead, and applied it to the storyline as well.
The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. Peach%27sCastle

The game's storyline is also unique. It begins like any classic Mario game, with Princess Peach being kidnapped by Bowser. Yet unlike any other Mario game, Mario confronts Bowser in the beginning and gets pounded on. Throughout the game Mario quests for the ability needed to weaken Bowser's new special powers, so he can get a fair fight in. Mario isn't the only played character though, the game flips between him and Peach, with sequels allowing more characters. Peach may be trapped in her castle, but she makes a great impact on the story. The story has humor, and tricks and turns stuck throughout to keep you on your feet playing.

The gameplay is the real reason the game is so great. It has RPG elements but is not limited to random battling. You walk around the world, and get into fights when you run into enemies. Defeating enemies gives you experience based on their level in relation to yours, and when you level up you choose between HP, FP, and BP. The badges in the game allow for amazingly diverse builds, and limitless possibilities. As you go on through the story you stumble along various misfits who go along with you trying to prove themselves or to complete their own tasks, each with their own sub-story. Every battle you get into is different, and each comrade you have has different abilities inside and outside of battle to help you complete puzzles, or to just bash a goomba to the ground.

For these reasons and more I believe Paper Mario is one of the greatest game of all time.

Sped up video of one of the later boss fights:
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard : The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. M9vzwh
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1045569

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:02 am

The Half-Life series. (including portal)

all the games have been revolutionary in there own way,
Half-life: the perfect blend of puzzles and fighting with an intriguing nail biting story line that keeps you on the edge of your seat, that created the mod revolution, once you finished the game, the next story is your own, it started the mod revolution, it even created the great team fortress series.

Half life 2: this game was expected to be so much, and even with a hack which leaked the games prototype, they created the new steam engine, amazing graphics lighting water and particle effect, they yet again "raised the bar" pun intended.

Portal: a creative indie puzzle game that maxed the steam engines capabilities to make a fun, yet short puzzle game with a compelling story that gave birth to the popular meme "the cake is a lie"

Half life 2: episodes: another revolutionary series, valve practically dedicated all there spare time into this trilogy, that is yet to be concluded, still keeping eager gamers praying after all this time.
Felix
Felix

Number of posts : 774
User Points : 23938

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Portal isn't a part of half life, is it? I thought they just made jokes towards the game, but it wasn't really related in any way that could be important.
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard : The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. Whitecc

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:59 am

it was related to the game in heaps of ways, its in the same storyline, it was made by the same company aperture science is the rival ofblackmesa, and they own the borealis that gordon and alyx are now headed towards.
Felix
Felix

Number of posts : 774
User Points : 23938

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:56 pm

I knew all of those except for the last part, which I'm curious about.

I meant that I didn't see any way they were related enough to be considered one series.
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wixmagic Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:56 pm

The game I'd like to bring up here is a megaman game. But not the original megaman, oh no. I'm talking about Megaman Battle Network.

This was a fun game, with quite an interesting plot, the battles could be challenging, most of the time without being frustrating.

The battle system, although simple, was a lot of fun, if a little repetitive, what I liked the most was that you could change around what moves you had, and had a very wide range of customisability in what attacks you had to use.

I think Megaman Battle Network is a lot of fun, even after all this time. Yup.
Wixmagic
Wixmagic
KuKuKuKuKu

Zard : The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. Lightdn
Number of posts : 1169
User Points : 115122

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadz Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:32 pm

Shall I pull Battlefield: Modern Combat into the mix?

While the aim is a little off (large bubble or something) it still makes to be a great game. So far the only one I've seen where you can bounce to other players on your team in the campaign if you decide you need a sniper not a person with a shotgun. The hotswap idea was great and I would love to see it added onto, even though this is a classic Xbox game.
Shadz
Shadz
Country Music Activist

Zard : The greatest videogames of all time, hall of joystick batterage fame. Axfeol
Number of posts : 457
User Points : 121533

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down