[TR] - Take Away Tom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mod Conference Room is Feeling Weak
by V Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

» First post of 2017 ?!
by Celstrial Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

» First Post of 2016?
by Payton Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

» Merry Xmas
by Altera Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm

» Your Awesome Pictures X
by Rage Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

» TR
by DigDog Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

» Wonderful Memories
by Mrsebi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

» Cool New Music
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

» Posting in these forums
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 am

Top posting users this week
No user

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Once You Have Been Lost (the cure for suicide)

Go down

Once You Have Been Lost (the cure for suicide) Empty Once You Have Been Lost (the cure for suicide)

Post by Juliana Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Alone in the room, with the night wearing away excruciatingly slowly, Melly stared almost unseeingly at her own hands. There was no comfort, not tonight, not for her. She was completely alone until she wore herself out and went to sleep, or else finally succeeded in breaking away from the trap that seemed to hold her mind prisoner. For now, though, all she could do was pace, and look around, and wish for her companions. They were gone, and she had no idea when she would see them again.

This was insanity! For all she knew--the terrible thought shook her--Corby could be dead by now. The last time she had seen him...

And yet no trace of tears threatened the young woman's eyes, though they stung a bit at the thought. The last time she had seen Corby, he had been in a horrible temper, venting a part of his rage at her simply because she was there before storming off screaming about wanting to kill himself. Melly refused to let herself think of the other reasons her friend might have chosen her as his target, refused to let herself think of Galen at all. This grew harder and harder, though, as the night offered few other things to think of.

Regret and longing--not just for Corby and Galen, but also for Aleya, Sean, Nisa, even a flicker for Kyan, though she hated to admit that last even to herself--all but overwhelmed her, and she sat down hard on her bed. It puffed as she did, far more than she was used to; it was an unusually cold season, and the accustomed run of sparse quilts and blankets sewn by Melly herself had proved inadequate. Not that she noticed much. She was drowning in memories.

"Melly?"

The familiar voice, the first she had heard in hours, eventually wormed its way into Melly's thoughts, shattering the nightmarish memories around her.

"Melly, it's very late. Why are you still up?"

The speaker was a small, slender girl who looked to be about ten but was closer to thirteen. That was the most anyone except herself and Alaya had known about her age, though a few bored hours had been spent in guessing games centered around the subject. Despite her closeness to Alaya, Willow had chosen to remain with the group when her friend (or, some believed, her sister) had settled down several towns away. Ever since, Melly had done her best to build up her friendship with the younger girl.

"Couldn't sleep," Melly muttered to excuse herself. "Can't seem to quiet my mind. Have you seen Corby?"

"Yeah, he's tall and his hair's black."

It was a normal joke between Melly and Willow. Under any other circumstances, Melly would have been amused. Tonight, however, she was too worried for the person they discussed to laugh much. "He ran out of here a couple hours ago, threatening to kill himself... I haven't seen him since."

Willow jerked backwards, as if physically struck by the news. "He wouldn't... not even Corby... not so soon after..."

Melly grimaced, trying not to cry. It actually took something this time, since now water was finally beginning to collect at the corners of her eyes. Hearing Willow talk of it out loud, even so indirectly, made it somehow more real than just a thought. It struck her all over again that it had really happened, that she had seen it, that Galen was gone forever--Galen, whom Melly had been meant to protect. It wasn't fair, and even less was it liked by any of them who survived.

And yet, as horrible as Galen's death had been, to say nothing of Sean's sacrifice or Aleya's abandonment or Kyan's betrayal, what Corby had proposed to do was worse. It was every one of those tragedies they had had to live through, all over again as one. One death had shocked them to the core; what would another coming right on its heels do to those who survived? One betrayal had shaken their trust in each other; what if a second one splintered them? And with every loss they were left with fewer people to deal with everything they had to handle. Melly had to admit, she couldn't imagine how they would do without Corby on top of everything else. He had better survive the night, she thought.
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Number of posts : 3679
User Points : 163946

Back to top Go down

Once You Have Been Lost (the cure for suicide) Empty Re: Once You Have Been Lost (the cure for suicide)

Post by Juliana Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:19 am

Morning, and Corby, found Melly and Willow sprawled on Melly's still-made bed, where they had fallen asleep talking. The elder girl stirred first, then opened her eyes and sat up with a gasp. "Corby?"

Corby smiled sheepishly and took her hand to help her to her feet. "Sorry about what I said last night," he mumbled apologetically. "It wasn't your fault..."

Melly reached up to place her free hand on her friend's shoulder. She was tall for a woman, but Corby was substantially taller. "It's okay," she murmured. "We're all on edge for now."

"I still shouldn't have--" he began, but Melly put a finger to her lips to ask for silence.

"Don't wake Willow," she whispered. "We stayed up--I don't know how late, and Willow needs her sleep."

They slipped out of the room, as silently as they could, and were halfway down the hall before Corby picked up his apologies again. "I shouldn't have spoken to you like that," he apologized hoarsely.

"It's okay," Melly whispered, not wanting to wake anyone who might be still sleeping within earshot. "Nobody here is really all that well, not after... Galen..."

Her eyes began to sting, and looking at her friend she could see the same kind of pain in his. It always cut deep, to lose a friend. Galen had known what he was doing, but Melly had been meant to protect him. She had tried to protect him. The bitter knowledge that she had failed ate at her, making the loss that much worse.

"We don't blame you," Corby whispered, evidently seeing some trace of Melly's thoughts in her eyes. "None of us do. It was Kyan who killed him, remember? We're all lucky that at least you survived."

"True..." she murmured brokenly, and hugged Corby to hide the tears in her eyes. It was probably just her imagination, but Melly thought she could feel Corby crying too.
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Back to top Go down

Once You Have Been Lost (the cure for suicide) Empty Re: Once You Have Been Lost (the cure for suicide)

Post by Juliana Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:54 am

Some time later, a quiet "Good morning" cut into Melly's silent tears. She peeled her face away from Corby's shoulder to see her friend Aleron standing in a doorway a short ways away.

"Good morning, Aleron," Corby greeted their friend raggedly. Whether this new arrival was the youngest among them or not was disputed, as Willow's age wasn't definite, but he was certainly one of their younger friends.

Melly wiped her eyes and added her greetings. How long had Aleron been standing here? He was polite, she knew, and wouldn't have wanted to interrupt them. But his face was merely understanding as he looked them over--apparently Corby really had been crying--without comment. Of course. Aleron had been hit as hard as the rest of them by their string of losses, maybe harder than some because he was young and had never before had to deal with such things.

"Have either of you had breakfast?" Melly inquired at length. Before the last word was even out of her mouth, both boys were shaking their heads.

"I just woke up," Aleron replied.

"I came to find you first thing," Corby explained in a similar tone.

Having just discovered that she was still wearing her long pink dress from the day before, complete with her daily essentials in a deceptively small pouch hanging from her belt on the right side, Melly was ready to provide a meal for them all. She reached into it and produced three breakfast biscuits she had made earlier in the week. Their group was settled down for the time being in this house they had built themselves, but Melly believed it was never a bad idea to carry some food in case it was needed. A quick breakfast anywhere they were was a convenience even in their own home. Besides, it was commonly agreed that Melly's biscuits were as tasty as anything that they could make fresh in the kitchen. The three of them retreated into Aleron's room at his ushering and sat down to eat.

A few bites in, Aleron casually mentioned, "I heard Nisa's talking again."

Corby and Melly looked at their younger friend in surprise. "Nisa is?" Melly repeated incredulously. "I thought she'd been mute since Kyan..."

"Well, Nikolai says she could talk, if she wanted to--she just doesn't."

"Because she doesn't have anything she wants to say?" suggested Corby.

"Because she can't find the words for what she wants to say," Melly corrected him darkly. She at least knew something of what Nisa had suffered; she had only escaped the same fate because Kyan had chosen to finish with Nisa before attacking her--giving Galen time to realize what was happening, to find them, to intervene. To earn a traitor's vengeance... Melly had no illusions that Kyan had killed Galen by chance. It had been revenge, plain and simple, to seek out the man who had saved his victims. That much had been proven to her by the hissed exchange between a dying man and his murderer, before the killer had disappeared and that one familiar, beloved friend had been left on the ground, wounded beyond her skill to save.

With a blink and a shudder, she returned to the present to find her companions' worried eyes on her. "I'm as well as anyone around here," she mumbled, shaking her head to at least clear the worst of the memories from it, "and better off than some."

Unable to find fault with that assertion, they returned to their meal. Soon after, the biscuits and even the crumbs were gone, and the unmistakable sounds of people waking began to drift through the open door. Melly rose and helped Aleron to his feet, while Corby stood up as well, and they all automatically turned towards the door.

And stopped. There, framed in the doorway, wearing a bloodred dress that might have once reached to the floor but which had been cut off raggedly at her knees, stood Nisa. She had not left the basement, at least not to anyone's knowledge, since Kyan had betrayed them all. The signs of this were obvious--her blonde hair was darker than usual from lack of sun, her skin paler, her eyes half-closed and clearly unused to so much light, and her voice creaked slightly from disuse as she spoke one word.

"Melly..."
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:11 pm

The last time Melly had seen Nisa, her friend had been bleeding from a dozen wounds, the proof of Kyan's torture. Now those wounds that were visible from here looked healed, though the dress made it almost seem otherwise. Judging by the look on Nisa's face, the damage to her mind was no better.

"Yes?" Melly managed to whisper through her shock.

Aleron's presence of mind was somewhat greater. "Nisa, you're up! What brings you here?"

"I want to talk to Melly," the blonde girl insisted, her voice slowly regaining a measure of control as she worked muscles unused for months.

"I'm here," Melly replied, reeling.

Taking this as an invitation, Nisa stepped closer and placed one hand on Melly's stomach--an odd gesture, especially since the two were within a few inches of each other's height. "What did Galen do to you?" she gasped.

"What did Galen do?" repeated Melly. "What are you talking about?"

"Kyan hurt me," Nisa began hoarsely.

"We know that!" Corby interrupted, earning himself a dirty look from the blonde.

"Kyan hurt me," she began again, "but Galen showed more of an interest in you. What did he do to you?"

It was several baffled seconds later before Melly could make enough sense of it to answer, "Nothing? He never hurt me, nor even tried. All he ever did was... act like himself..."

"NO!" shouted Nisa, loud enough that all of them jumped and in an adjacent room someone cursed. It sounded like they had caught one friend or another shaving. "No man is good! They're all like Kyan inside, hungry to hurt people, happy when someone's heart breaks, they love blood, they love pain, they're all alike and you should know it! I could tell Galen was interested in you, so tell me--what. Did. He. DO?!"

"I told you! He did nothing!" the older girl protested. "Galen never hurt me, never!"

"He hurt me badly enough, and he didn't even think so much of me!" Nisa bellowed.

"How?" Corby challenged, his eyes scanning her. "All the injuries I can see are from what Kyan did... what Galen stopped as soon as he could."

Nisa shuddered and twisted the fabric of her dress behind her back. "He wouldn't let me be healed," she whispered. "He told me it wasn't safe yet for me to be back the way I was. I had to suffer what Kyan did longer."

"Even magic can't heal everything so easily," Melly cautioned, "and you know you're weak. What it would take for you to be completely back to where you were might require something your body can't handle just yet..."

"I don't care!" snarled Nisa.

"You should!" Aleron interjected, though he was almost drowned out by Corby's voice.

"What's so important that you can't wait to be ready?"

Wiping her eyes, the scarred blonde shook her head. "I can't tell you." She glared at Corby and Aleron, then turned to Melly. "You should think of what I said. Every man is evil in the end."

Before any of them could react, she was gone.
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:15 pm

It seemed reasonable to assume that after Nisa's outburst, no one would still be asleep in the house. After bidding a quick farewell to Corby and Aleron, who both appeared to be in shock, Melly returned to her own room. As she had expected, she found Willow awake and seated on the bed where they'd talked the night before. "Good morning," the younger girl greeted her.

"Good morning," Melly replied automatically. Though she tried to hide it, she had been shocked by Nisa's behavior as well. Her friend had once been so sweet, laughing with Aleron, trading tall tales with Nikolai, flirting with Sean, Kyan, and Corby as her fancy suited... how could Nisa hate them all now? Kyan, yes... but all of them?

"What WAS that scream? It woke me up!" Willow's voice broke into Melly's thoughts, much as it had the previous night. Barely a second had passed.

"Nisa's been up here," the elder of the girls explained. Ignoring the younger's gasp of astonishment, she plowed on: "She's talking, even screaming, but she's... different. What Kyan did... it broke her."

Willow's soft-edged brown eyes seemed to grow huge in her young face. "Nisa's talking again? What did she talk about?" she inquired eagerly.

With a sigh, Melly admitted, "She talked about men being evil... whatever changed in her mind has convinced her that Kyan was typical. Now she thinks Galen did something to hurt me." With a groan, the young woman collapsed on her bed next to Willow.

A moment later, she sat bolt upright again. It could have just been her imagination, but she had been certain she'd heard a voice whispering in her ear: "I need to talk to you." The voice was a man's. Galen's.

No, Melly thought. Galen is dead. I watched him die. She had heard him speak to her in much the same way, right here, so many times. This had to be a memory, or her mind so desperate to hear from him again that she was hallucinating. Glancing over at Willow, she could see that the younger girl had heard nothing, but she looked concerned.

"Melly, are you all right?"

"Fine," Melly grunted. "My clothes just pinched me."

Willow nodded, accepting the excuse, as the voice whispered again, "I know. I am dead. But I need to talk to you."

Made even more nervous by this, Melly looked around the room. She saw nothing that could have been the source. Closing her eyes, she touched the magic she had been trained to call from inside her, hoping to tell if someone was doing this by a spell...

The moment she did, she saw Galen's face in her mind's eye. He was exactly as she had known him in his best moments, with his eyes blazing, his skin all but glowing, and his face transfigured by being the very greatest of what he could be. Melly reached out with her power, and felt herself pulled towards the image.

When she came to herself, she was looking over a vast, empty field of grass. The sky was a pale blue overhead, and the sunlight was warm and washed everything golden. Tiny flowers were camouflaged by the grass yet plentiful, with bees flying sedately amongst them. Galen paced in the grass some distance away, his appearance as beautifully changed as in the vision of him Melly had just seen, but his expression was clouded by frustrated discontent.

"Why are you unhappy?" Melly asked dreamily, in a voice like a small child's. "This is a beautiful place."

Galen spun to look at her, his unhappiness lightening markedly as he caught her eye. "I would have been happier if I could have stayed on earth with you longer," he replied, softly but clearly audible despite the distance. "I have forever to enjoy this in, but I would have enjoyed it more if I had had more life to compare it to."

Melly found her feet taking her forward a few steps, putting them closer to one another. "I'm sorry I couldn't save you," she whispered, close to crying.

It was his turn to close the distance by a few paces. "Melly. Melly." He said it as if her name tasted delicious, like he could spend hours just feasting on the sound. "Melly, you did everything you could. I knew what I was getting into when I walked into that fight. I knew it when I saved you and Nisa, even. The risks were mine. Kyan happened to have enough of an advantage that he could defeat us both... Melly, you have nothing to be sorry for."

Stumbling from emotion, falling to the grass, Melly found that the bees got out of her way here rather than trying to sting her. Galen hurried over and sat down beside her. He coaxed a bee onto his finger, and showed it to her. "The bees here are tame," he murmured. "They don't harm anyone... and why should they? They're in no danger; they just fly around and make honey."

The beauty of this reminded Melly of her original thought. "It's so perfect here... why would you want to be back in the middle of all the pain in life?"

The look in Galen's eyes flickered with sorrow. "For you," he replied softly. "You and all my other friends. There's a hole in all your lives where I was, you know it as well as I do. Even Nisa knows it in her heart, though her mind's been twisted enough that she's not sure how to react except to be angry with me."

Melly thought back to her conversation with Nisa, considering it in this light. "She thought you'd hurt me..." she began, not sure where she was going with the thought.

"And did I?" The simple question caught Melly off guard.

"No!" she replied immediately. "Never."

Galen took her hand. He was warm and strong, in sharp contrast to her memory of carrying his destroyed body home from the place where he had died. "But I died... you can't pretend that didn't hurt you, any more than anyone else could say so..."

"You told me yourself, Kyan's dangerous," Melly objected. "Not because he's a particularly good fighter, but because he's dishonorable. He caught us by surprise, and you and I together weren't enough to stop him... just like Nisa and I weren't..."

"You're right," Galen admitted. "And Nisa knew this--you know she was thinking of something else, something specific, of course?" At Melly's nod, he continued, "Nisa may be insane, but only her reasoning is broken. She still sees plenty and knows what she sees; she just draws the wrong conclusions from it."

"You mean...?"

"I mean that she's sensing something. There's plenty of useful things she can still tell you, if you ignore what she thinks and find out why she thinks it."

"But she wouldn't tell, when Corby asked what you'd done to her," Melly contradicted quietly.

"She's afraid of men, like you were, and she's less willing to get past that," Galen explained just as quietly. "She doesn't fear women, and she trusts you more than most. You could get something out of her."

Melly digested this for a moment, working through the idea that Nisa was acting from the same feelings that she had had after Kyan's betrayal. It made her friend's irrationality somehow understandable. The thought was strange and a bit frightening: if Nisa was acting irrationally, and Melly understood why, where did that leave the latter?

Galen watched her think, probably reading quite a bit of this from her face. Eventually he let go of her hand to hug her. In some astonishment, Melly realized that he even smelled the same. Somehow she had assumed that the many things that had made up his scent would have died with his body, or changed somehow by coming here, but apparently it wasn't so. The smell that said Galen to her as much as his face or voice or name was completely intact. "Melly," he whispered, "here is what you need most to understand: I am not gone. The person I have always been exists still, and someday you will come here to stay. Until then, you need to live as truly as you can--but never be afraid to do the right thing, whether that means taking a risk or staying out of danger." He kissed her quickly, then released her and offered her the bee that had been crawling on his arm. "Melly... did you know that your name means 'bee?'"

Startled by the abrupt change of subject, and moved by the speech that had preceded it, Melly shook her head.

"Well, it is," Galen informed her quietly. "Here... you can keep this one as a pet." A trace of the playful humor that he had used so often tugged at the corners of his mouth. "Maybe you can call it Melly Junior."

Melly laughed, and took the bee. Somehow knowing what came next, she began to cross the field in the general direction of the place she had first seen it from, with the thought that this would somehow lead her home.

"One more thing," called Galen.

Turning around, Melly inquired, "Yes?" She would have stayed for many more changes of subject, just to see him a little longer for the last time until her own death.

"You can't make it alone. Trust your friends when they earn it--you'll need them. You'll need the help."

Melly nodded, and raised her empty hand. "Goodbye, Galen..."

"Goodbye, Melly," he murmured, visibly softening. "I hope you live long and happily."

With that, Melly drifted, and knew no more until suddenly she was lying on her bed next to Willow again. Little seemed to have happened, though Willow looked at the elder girl's left hand and did a double take.

Curled up tamely in her palm was a bee.
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:15 am

"Melly," Willow gasped, "there's a bee on your hand! How did it get there?"

Melly smiled, seeing Galen's face in her mind's eye. "It seems harmless enough," she observed, looking the bee over. "Maybe I'll keep it as a pet."

The look on Willow's face clearly said, "Are you crazy?" but Melly rose quickly to her feet, suddenly purposeful.

"I'm going to the basement, I think," she declared. "I need to see Nikolai... and Nisa."

Willow looked dubious for a second, but then her face cleared and she nodded. "And I'm going to get breakfast. See you, Melly."

Melly descended the staircase to the first floor, nodding hello to those friends she passed. All of them were quiet: some had not finished waking, and everyone was in mourning. Galen had been plenty liked, and if Melly's own heart was calmer now, after her vision--well, she still felt the absence nonetheless. Only a week ago, this time had been playful, everyone in the house save for Nisa sharing food and laughter. Only a week ago, they had been almost back to normal as betrayals and losses had faded into memory. Only a week ago, they had been called on for help: a small band of mercenaries led by Kyan had been attacking a small farm nearby.

Only a week. Galen had died that day.

With a shudder, Melly shook off the thought and opened the door that led down to the basement. There was no light at the bottom, but that was to be expected; both Nikolai and Nisa could see just fine without it.

Slowly, she descended the steps. At the bottom, Nikolai looked up from the cards spread before him to greet her. "Hey, Melly. What're you doing down here?" It was hard to tel between the existing darkness and the fact that his face was hidden by his ever-present hood, but Melly thought he might have been grinning. They were some kind of relatives, and close friends; meetings were always happy occasions regardless of how badly things might otherwise be going. Now that Nikolai spent so much time down here--protecting their wounded hermit, and (Melly suspected) avoiding the gloomy mood above to mourn in his own way--it was an even bigger event.

Melly smiled as well; Nikolai's moods were remarkably contagious. "Haven't come in a while. I wanted to see you, Niko," she explained, using his childhood nickname to remind him of their kinship, then hesitated. "And to see Nisa."

Nikolai shrugged. "She doesn't talk much, still. I think being alone down here so long might have driven her a little crazy." He paused, weighing his next words--something he did infrequently enough that it caught Melly's attention. "Funny thing, though... a few minutes ago, she did leave. Obviously it was hard for her, but she did it. And I heard her screaming, and then she marched back down. Looked exhausted, but happy."

"That's why I need to talk to her," Melly informed him. "She was yelling at me, mostly--Corby and Aleron too, but just because they were there."

Nikolai looked surprised, then froze. "Melly, there's a bee on your shoulder..."

With a chuckle, Melly nodded. "It's my new pet." She thought a moment, then decided she could trust Nikolai with the whole truth. He disbelieved those who struck him as dishonest, but was willing to accept even odd truths from Melly. Throughout their long history together, she had never once lied to him and didn't intend to start now.
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down