[TR] - Take Away Tom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mod Conference Room is Feeling Weak
by V Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

» First post of 2017 ?!
by Celstrial Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

» First Post of 2016?
by Payton Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

» Merry Xmas
by Altera Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm

» Your Awesome Pictures X
by Rage Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

» TR
by DigDog Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

» Wonderful Memories
by Mrsebi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

» Cool New Music
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

» Posting in these forums
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 am

Top posting users this week
No user

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Balance

+2
Crystal Lion
Altera
6 posters

Go down

The Balance Empty The Balance

Post by Altera Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:50 pm

The Balance

Discussion thread here

Set in an alternate universe, similar to modern day Earth but with a difference, various abilities have manifested within a number of individuals. Each has the potential for good, but also for evil. In order to encourage a drive towards the betterment of society and the acceptance of these unusual individuals or Mibdul, a number of schools were founded to help develop their abilities and to encourage integration of regular humans and Mibdul. Ranging from high school through to teritary education, both races of man have pushed onwards to the future, making advances never before believed possible.

The Mibdul

- Humans who have, by chance, developed unusual abilities; telepathy, pyrokinesis, enhanced speed etc
-Abilities generally manifest in the late teens to mid twenties. There are cases of 30-40 year olds manifesting but these are considered rare. No one under the age of 15 manifests.
-So far, the exact cause is unknown. Scientists are unable to pinpoint a genetic cause or predict whether or not an individual will manifest. A few families comprise of Mibdul and regular humans, most are families of regular humans and it is uncommon to see all children of Mibdul parents to be Mibdul as well (probability is about 50:50 chance of "regular" offspring for Mibdul parents).
- The frequency of Mibdul in the greater population is 1 in 50. In the integrated schools, this increases to 1 in 6.

The Rules
Read carefully.

-Usual forum and RP rules apply.
-No reserving posts.
-PM Altera before joining in. Application form below.
-Maximum of three characters for now.
-You can choose whether you want to be a Mibdul or a normal human.
-If you do start out as a human, you can become a Mibdul if your character is between the manifest ages. However, you will need to reapply before becoming a Mibdul.
-Mibdul only have a singular ability. You cannot have telepathy and flight. Pick one and stick with it. No going and changing midway through.
-Mibdul cannot become regular humans.
-If you choose to be a Mibdul and decide on your ability, also decide on limitations, which must be directly linked to the ability, for your character. For example, a telepath may need to be in contact with their target or end up with severe migraines after using their ability, a flier might have a lighter, more fragile skeleton and thus a greater chance of breaking bones. In general, try to keep your character somewhat balanced. A powerful ability has to have a limitation that is roughly equal in magnitude to that ability.
-You don't have to be a student. You could be the frycook at a local burger bar, an educator, someone's annoying younger sibling.
-Try to have a unique ability, it's no fun if everyone is a telepath.
-The Usual Laws of Physics apply in this verse. If you have a matter manipulator you cannot fashion a giant sword out of a 10 cent piece. If you have a speedster, they have to get the energy to get up to whatever speed they need to somehow and they won't do it on the average daily energy intake of a normal adult.
-No randomly pulling out weapons and fighting with others. This is primarily set in a modern university for His Noodliness's sake.
-Have fun and don't piss Altera off by breaking the rules.

Notes
-I do have a rough idea of a plot for later but for now lets just get the characters introduced and interacting.
-If you are gonna partake in this, write a character bio so it's easier for people to figure out what abilities your character has. And don't forget to include their limitations.

The Setting

The RP is set primarily in a university (the name of which is yet to be decided), the homes of characters and other local areas, eg malls, parks, bus stops. This will be expanded as the story develops. It is the beginning of the semester and students at the university are gearing up for their first/another year of teritary education full of assignments, distractions and the occasional prank involving a Fiat Bambina.

The story begins in the early morning darkness of the first day of the semester, a day which may or may not define how the rest of the year will go.

To apply:

1. Fill out this form:

Code:
Character Name:
Character Age:
Race (Human or Mibdul):
If Mibdul state your ability (e.g. telepathy, pyrokinesis, enhanced speed, etc.):
Level/strength of ability:
Limitations:
Occupation (e.g. student, educator, frycook, security guard, etc.):

Example of a character application:

Character Name: Ric Leyden
Character Age: 22
Race (Human or Mibdul): Mibdul
If Mibdul state your ability (e.g. telepathy, pyrokinesis, enhanced speed, etc.): Technopathy-the ability to control and manipulate electronics with the mind.
Level/strength of ability: "Contact"-strength
Limitations: Must be physically touching the device. Complicated or unfamiliar devices and systems can cause severe harm if the manipulation is attempted too quickly, from severe headaches to seizures.
Occupation (e.g. student, educator, frycook, security guard, etc.): 4th year Computer Science student.

2. Wait for Altera to approve your character.
Your character may be rejected at first. I will try to provide suggestions which may lead towards your character being approved.
And remember if you start out as a regular human and decide to become a Mibdul, you will need to reapply.

3. Once approved you can join in!

I will be posting the starter later today, my time.
If you have any questions feel free to PM or IM me or go to the discussion thread.

Last edited by Altera on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Altera
Altera
Crazy Awesome

Number of posts : 5783
User Points : 90240

http://argentis.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

The Balance Empty The Balance- Character List

Post by Altera Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:01 am

Character Reference List sorted according to creator.

NPCs
(These are characters you can control with permission from the GM)

Character Name: Liam Arrigan
Character Age: 43
Race: Mibdul
Ability: "Dolphinman"- can breathe in air via mouth/nasal passages or by his "blowhole" (located on the back of his neck); webbing between phalanges; phalanges of the foot and the metatarsals longer; normal swim speed is about 8km/hr but can achieve speeds of up to 30km/hr in short bursts.
Level/strength of ability: Swimming above the human average. Can tolerate salt and freshwater.
Limitations: Can not stay out of water for too long (maximum of 3 hours without any water, 15 in a special "water suit" (which he hates wearing)). Can only stay under water for 10mins before coming up for air (15 if he's really pushing it), down to a depth of 150m. Sensitive to extremes in temperature and low humidity. Does not possess echo location or a keen sense of smell, making him a potentially easy target for ocean predators. His physical appearance is somewhat off-putting for most humans and Midbul.
Occupation: Professor of Marine Biology at the University. Also partakes in a series of lectures for several anthropology papers. Note: all lectures conducted by Arrigan are done in one lecture theatre (that happens to have a built in pool).

Altera

Character Name: Ric Leyden
Ability: Technopathy-the ability to control and manipulate electronics with the mind.
Level/strength of ability: "Contact"-strength
Limitations: Must be physically touching the device. Complicated or unfamiliar devices and systems can cause severe harm if the manipulation is attempted too quickly, from severe headaches to seizures.

Character Name: Tira Riley Nova
Character Age: 20
Race: Human
Ability: N/A
Level/strength of ability: N/A
Limitations: N/A

Character Name: Mitchell Lee O'Neill.
Character Age: 23
Race: Mibdul.
Ability: Telekinesis
Level/strength of ability: Radius of effect is 20m on objects or beings up to 85kgs.
Limitations: Can only manipulate a single solid object in line of sight. Cannot lift more than own weight mentally. Can suffer migraines from overuse.
Occupation: Masters student, focusing on cultural and social anthropology. Part time tutor at the university.

Crystal Lion

Character Name: Crystal Shizi.
Character Age: 18.
Race: Mibdul.
If Mibdul state your ability: She has the ability to charm and influence others with her pheromones.
Level/strength of ability: Short distance away. It manifested a few days before her 18th birthday.
Limitations: She can't control it, and her pheromones randomly backfire, making the target dislike or ignore her.

Character Name: Meg Hunt.
Character Age: 18
Ability: She has great accuracy in aiming lightweight weapons and firearms. It manifested when she was at a shooting range 3 months before her 18th birthday.
Level/strength of ability: Currently, she can only hit a target with full accuracy if she can see it.
Limitations: Heavy firearms are out of the question for Meg, since she will lose her balance very easily if she carries them. Plus, she has lower than average strength.

Xusha

Character Name: Antoine Arci
If Mibdul state your ability: Pyrokinesis, or the ability to create or to control fire by the powers of the mind.
Level/strength of ability: His power is limited to his reach, as he can only conjure the flames to his body.
Limitations: It requires an intense concentration to maintain the flames, and they are limited to his reach.
Occupation: Chef. He uses his ability to assist him in cooking. He is the first of the Arci siblings.

Character Name: Milena Arci
Race : Mibdul
If Mibdul state your ability: She has the ability to communicate telepathically.
Level/strength of ability: Distance is not a factor, but she has only mastered communication with one other.
Limitations: She can only use this ability with people she has touched in the past year, and she is limited by a thirty second delay when changing people. Overuse causes her to faint, and further use upon waking could cause memory loss.
Occupation: First Year Psychology Student. She is the second of the Arci siblings.

Katherine

Character Name: Karien Shadow
If Mibdul state your ability: Matter Manipulation
Level/strength of ability: Short-Mid range. Easier if she has contact of the item.
Limitations: Cannot create matter from nothing. Energy to transmute matter must be obtained from diet otherwise transmutations only partially change or completely fail. Legislation makes the use of matter manipulation abilities on living things or to create gold illegal.

MrSebi

Character Name: John Hawke
Ability: Pyrokinesis
Level/strength of ability: Control of flames up to 1000 degrees. Can draw the flames back into his own body as energy. Naturally flame resistant.
Limitations: Contact, while objects that are naturally flammable will combust (like wood), non flammable objects will not ignite. Utilizes his own bodily energy, thus using the power too much will result in weakness. Likewise: absorbing too much fire could just as well kill him, although smaller amounts will only cause migraines. He can be harmed by it. Large objects require more energy to fully enflame, a small wooden ball or candle is easy for him, a lawn chair would drain him, anything larger would result in loss of consciousness or death.
Occupation: Masters student in physics. Lab assistant at the university.

Cial

Character Name: Robert Rayes
Character Age: 23
If Mibdul state your ability: Electric manipulation with the mind. Can create electric currents and control them at will.
Level/strength of ability: Under control, but virtually impossible to hold on to for extended periods. Range, 6-10 feet. Electrical energy derived primarily from external sources, uses energy from synapses to initiate the current.
Limitations: Water hurts him, mentally and physically. If submerged, he will have a seizure and go into shock. Can suffer brain damage from excessive use of synapses.
Occupation: 3rd year Digital Design Student; Part time job at a computer/video game shop in town.

Character Name: Trisha Stane
Ability: N/A
Level/strength of ability: N/A
Limitations: N/A
Occupation: 3rd year Literature Student, majoring in creative writing.

Juliana

Character Name: Keely Larson
Character Age: 20
Ability: Can affect dreams
Level/strength of ability: Rather powerful, insofar that she can walk in others' dreams to see (and occasionally affect) what they're thinking about, and on rare occasions she can even manifest (in a sort of ghostly form; whether or not she's visible depends on what she's there to do) in the real world to observe and/or affect what happens there.
Limitations: She can only use her powers while she's asleep, and it doesn't rest her; rather, she needs extra sleep to recuperate after walking in someone else's dreams. When she brings her dreams into the real world, she is always comatose for at least two days after.

Character Name: Rebelyn Felis
Character Age: 19
Ability: She's human. She's good with words, but that's about it.
Level/strength of ability: Still human.
Limitations: Human. Very human.

Tim Hortans

Character Name: Tim Hortans
Character Age: 17
If Mibdul state your ability: Manipulation of earth, "earthbending"
Level/strength of ability: Variable. Currently lacks full control of ability due to only recently manifesting so his control is currently emotionally charged. If he is excited or scared, the magnitude of his powers increases but his level of control decreases. Calmer emotional states lead to greater control over his ability.
Limitations: Lacks complete control, cannot completely shut off his ability so it tends to "leak", eg leaving ripples in the earth as he walks. Ability causes physical and mental fatigue. Cannot manipulate objects that are over 2 meters in diameter or beyond a range of 10-15 meters.

Last edited by Altera on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:17 pm; edited 14 times in total
Altera
Altera
Crazy Awesome

Back to top Go down

The Balance Empty Re: The Balance

Post by Altera Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:39 am

It was not the ringing of the alarm clock on her nightstand that woke Tira up but the sudden realisation she could not feel her legs. "Wait a nanosecond. Mazza, get off."

The vizsla had decided sometime in the night to jump on the young woman's bed, sleeping on top of her legs. He raised his head, recognised the stern tone in his owner's voice, before jumping off the bed. Tira yelped in pain as normal circulation was slowly restored, heralded by the pins and needles which subsided soon after. She looked over at her clock, the LCD screen indicating it was five am, and sighed. 'Too early to get up but I won't get anymore sleep now.' She thought.

She got out of bed, wandered into the bathroom, splashed water in her face and returned to her room. The occasional burst of gunfire resounded from the bedroom of one of her flatmates as she walked past his door, indicating he was still awake and busy slaying whatever was in his latest game. Tira decided not to disturb him, instead choosing to fire up her computer to read her emails, double check her schedule and enjoy the last few hours of freedom.

A dull thump on the outside of her flat made Tira look up from her screen. With Mazza following her, she opened the front door and was greeted by the appearance of the daily newspaper on the front lawn of her flat. Mazza bounded past her to roam the property as she picked up the paper and walked inside. After a quick shower, she made breakfast and settled down at the small table, taking spoonfuls of porridge while reading the front page.

"'Hundreds flee as Mibdul are rounded up in the Far West.' That cannot be good." A deep voice said behind her.

Tira didn't bother to turn to address her other flatmate, Mitchell, "It's the way of the world ain't it? Even though the presence of Mibdul has been acknowledged and accepted for over two centuries, there are some who still fear those like you. Some see you as the Devil's spawn, evil demons, changelings... why am I giving you a talk on somethin' you know a heck of a lot more about than I do?"

The male laughed, "You're a scientist. You figure it out. Coffee?" A coffee plunger hovered in front of Tira.

"No thanks. I made an oath that I'd get through the semester without relyin' on the stuff. And should you really be usin' your abilities willy-nilly like that?"

"Hey, I need to practise. Never know when I might truly need it."

"Well don't come crawlin' to me with another migraine, whinin' 'bout how you need to be taken to the GP for more meds. I'm gonna be busy showin' my cousin and his friends around when I'm not at lectures. And Ric probably won't either. He went and bought another game yesterday so I doubt he'll be comin' out of his room anytime soon."

"Darn, I was hoping to drag him along to the pub later. Charmed some ladies while waiting for the student cards during Orientation, offered to treat them to a few drinks and maybe make Ric a little less anti-social."

"You better be home for dinner. It's bein' served at six-thirty sharp. And if you aren't there, I'm feedin' your servin' to Mazza." Tira checked her watch, "Time I headed off to my first lecture. I'll see you later."
Altera
Altera
Crazy Awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by Crystal Lion Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:52 pm

"Oof," Crystal grumbled, and shook off the blankets covering her. "What an odd dream I had," she said, rubbing her eyes. According to the clock, it was six in the morning.

"Well, what is it, Shizi?" her room mate asked. Meg was watching a movie on her laptop, giggling away at the silly antics of the tiny dolls onscreen.
Crystal sat up. "A big mob was following me down the street, and that mob was every living thing under the sun. They wouldn't go away. Even the mosquitoes were after me."

The dark-skinned, dyed-haired woman promptly laughed, "Oh come on, your powers aren't so strong that even mosquitoes would all go after you!"
Crystal snorted, and walked to the bathroom. Meg heard the sound of running water and a soft brushing noise.

When Crystal returned, Meg was still watching her laptop. This time, the video showed a pale girl with long blue hair in two pigtails singing. The black-haired girl snorted scornfully, "Do you ever watch anything else?"

"The occasional comedy and firearm shows. That's about it," Meg answered. By now, the video showed a group of women with long forelocks singing at the tops of their voices. Crystal sat down at her desk and started her own computer. It was a fairly heavy piece of work, meant for a studio instead of a student's desk.

"I think we're not quite what we seem, Meg," Crystal said after a while, after reading an article about people with unusual powers.

"What are we, aliens?" Meg inquired, then laughed. "Come on, anyone would say that you and me are Mibdul. Who knows what powers you have?"

"Well, what do you think I would be?"

"Judging from the dream you had, I would say you can attract crowds," Meg stifled a laugh at this.

Crystal scowled. "Oh come on! I don't want to have paparazzi following me everywhere."

"You never know if that would come in handy one day. You could make your own bodyguards!"

"Meg! Be serious! What would I do with a crowd that has gone mad for me?" Crystal waved her arms peevishly. "What is your power, Meg?"

Meg continued bouncing a ball as she watched her laptop screen. "Apparently, I've got great accuracy before I turned eighteen. You want to bet that I can bounce my ball into your storage basket?"

Crystal turned to look at Meg. "You're on."

The swarthy woman looked at the basket sitting beside Crystal's bed. She focused on the plastic object, and tossed the ball. It bounced neatly into the basket. "Well, that's not bad at all," Crystal muttered.

"Ask me to aim at anything, and I'll hit it. As long as I can see it, that is. Ha ha ha!" Meg chuckled. "How about your classes today?"

"I'll have to leave at ten, and I'll be back at six. What about you?"

"I'm going at noon myself. Gonna be back at three. You want me to get some dinner before you come back?" Meg asked, taking the headphones off her head.

Crystal smiled. "Don't try to throw it at me, please. I don't think pastries are going to last that way," she replied.

"Hey, Shizi, I was thinking more of the pork-in-wine that you really love," said Meg. The two women then turned back to their devices. Crystal was now engrossed in drawing a scene from one of the silly stories she wrote with Meg. A huge boy was making a fuss in a dance hall in her drawing.
Crystal Lion
Crystal Lion
Director of Lapis-Lazuli
Director of Lapis-Lazuli

Number of posts : 1241
User Points : 67957

http://lasvegaslion.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Katherine Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:41 pm

I laid on my bed, still thinking about my new school life compared to the past. Well, it had been better, since I was no longer thrown about in the many schools I tried joining due distrust of my powers after that incident in which I kinda disintegrated the teacher's desk in my high school. Somehow, maybe with luck on my side, I had made it through and here I am now, succeeded in joining college and lazing about on my bed... Well, kinda... I just hope no one ever sees what I did to my room.

I sat upright and looked around my room. Darker than a normal room, plus the scent of new leather in the air. My ears perked up as I purred softly. Yes, I did actually mess around with it, turning the curtains into black leather other than the bed itself... Could be said that I liked leather more than what most people here would do.

My Personal Digital Assistant bleeped and I looked down at it. A notification I had set based on my timetable. Ten... And class is in fifteen minutes... Eh, another class, another bore. Oh well, I'll guess it's best I set off then, best not to be late due to getting lost since it's only been a few days since my acceptance into this college and I don't want to be thrown out for such a silly reason as that.

I tucked my PDA into my pocket and slid off the bed, grabbing my sling bag off the oaken study table before heading out of my room. As a precaution, I sealed my door to the wall with a little manipulation, just to prevent anyone from entering it but myself. Keys, meh, locks can always be easily picked and that I knew so well.

I turned from the door and suddenly started blushing after taking a few steps... I had no idea why that was happening to me and I chose to run towards the stairs, hoping to avoid contact with anyone else for fear they'll mock me due to it.

I kept running till I finally found a spot with nobody and rested there for a little till the blush went away. I wondered what could be the reason why I felt odd passing the room next door, and noted it into my PDA and adding a reminder to myself to find out why after my class. And thinking about class, I remembered that I had one soon and started running to it, praying to the goddess that I wouldn't be late.
Katherine
Katherine
Guardian of the Innocence

Zard : The Balance Underworldzard
Number of posts : 1633
User Points : 9142

http://karienpryde.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Altera Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:08 pm

Ric looked up at the clock beside his computer, the arms of Mickey Mouse indicated it was 8:15am, and decided it was time to make an appearance in the kitchen.

He was greeted by the view of Mitchell leaning back in his chair, paper in one hand, coffee mug in the other. "Morning Ric. Coffee?" The coffee pot floated from it's cradle on the bench and hovered in front of the technopath.

Ric pulled a cup out of one of the cupboards, the pot poured hot coffee slowly into it. He set the cup on the formica bench and popped some bread in the toaster. "What one is it this time?"

"It's Irish Creme this morning. If you want a bit of a kick to it, there's some single malt in the pantry, behind the vinegar. Tira already left for classes, I'm heading off to the gym in a while, you should tag along. Work those muscles!" Mitchell got up from his chair and clapped his flatmate on the back, knocking his glasses askew.

"Thanks but no thanks. Gotta defeat the final boss, then I'm heading to bed." He replied, pushing the horn-rimmed glasses back in place.

"Well, suit yourself." Mitchell downed the last of his coffee and rinsed his cup. "Tira said dinner's at six thirty sharp. Not sure what she's cooking. But if you fancy being sociable, I'm going to the pub at five to meet some folks."

"What's Tira cooking?"

"I haven't the foggiest. Unless she's buying something from the supermarket, we'll either be having chicken or mince." Mitchell checked his watch, "Gotta jet. Mazza is roaming outside so he shouldn't disturb you too much. Flick me a text if you feel like going to the pub."

Ric nodded and finished his coffee, refilled his cup, grabbed his toast and returned to his room. His computer was calling him.
Altera
Altera
Crazy Awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:22 pm

The alarm started buzzing.

Hawke sighed and slammed it shut, quickly getting out of bed and walking over to his window: he looked outside. It was dark, grey and pouring; typical weather at this time of year. Sighing, he put a finger on the end of the cigarette and focused a bit, lighting it up. Taking a puff, he opened the window and leaned out, feeling the cold air on his skin.

‘’Another year of school…’’ he thought; quickly finishing the cigarette and crushing it in his hand, feeling the warmth enter his body. Throwing the burnt lump into the street, he turned around and quickly got dressed, not bothering to close the window. He grabbed his backpack and slung it over his shoulder; he wasn’t hungry enough for breakfast, so he decided to just leave.

‘’If anything, I can pick something up on the way there’’ he assumed, as he went out the door.
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Zard : The Balance Pinkxs
Number of posts : 2166
User Points : 74953

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:04 pm

Rebelyn screamed and twisted, massive wings flaring from her back, blood flung from them, pouring down her outstretched arms, down her face, down her body. The maliciously cackling children surrounding her didn't care. They kept beating at her, throwing whatever they could find on the ground, until one of them picked her up and tossed her to another--who didn't catch her; with a sickening crunch she collided against the side of a building and fell horribly to the ground. Her friend, her friend had fled in fear, and there was only one person who could save her now, but that one person couldn't move, couldn't fight, trapped between her compassion and her desire to survive--

Keely screamed as she suddenly found herself in a dark room with a pair of hands shaking her. It took her a moment to realize where she was, and that the hands were Rebelyn's.

"I swear," her friend informed her dryly, "you have more nightmares about the schoolyard fight than I ever did."

After another moment to catch her breath, Keely nodded. "My mind's still punishing me for not intervening sooner... I dream about you as a dying angel."

Though the windows were covered with thick curtains and Rebel hadn't bothered with the lights, Keely was fairly sure the younger woman raised an eyebrow. "Weren't you the one who was lecturing me on how unhealthy it is to hold onto feelings of extreme guilt, oh, just the other day?"

The older nodded with a grimace. "I'm past it as far as the waking world is concerned, but I guess my gift isn't as good at letting go."

"Haven't you gone through theories of subconscious expression in dreams yet?" Rebel pointed out rhetorically. The subject had come up early in the year, and Keely hadn't been able to stop talking about it for weeks. The knowledge had definitely contributed to what she was able to do with her Mibdul talent.

Keely shook her head, not to deny this but to admit defeat. Rebel was right: she had to stop dwelling on this. It had been years since the incident; it wasn't like there could be any more surprises left to come back and bite her from it. She climbed out of her bed and defiantly threw the curtains open to afford her a view of the outside world... and the inside world too. Despite the sheets of rain pouring down, Keely thought it was beautiful out.
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Number of posts : 3679
User Points : 163931

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:20 am

A phone rang in a dark room. From the bed, an outstretched arm grabbed the receiver.
"Hello?"
"Bobby, are you up yet?"
"Yeah, mom, I've been up for hours."
"You're lying, you're lying to your mother. Get up. Classes start in an hour."
"I'll be fine, mom, and how do you know when my classes are?"
"I've got a printout from the office. Just don't make this year like the last two, okay?"
The boy now stood upright.
"Mom, the last two I've been in THERAPY for having a mental breakdown after I made the lights in the classroom explode."
"Okay, Okay, just, be careful Bobby."
"Alright. Love you."
"Love you too."
And he hung up.

Bobby then drifted into the bathroom of his flat. Staring into the mirror, he brushed his teeth, fixed his hair and popped on his glasses. Ready for school, he walked into the hall and down the stairs. In his hurry, he bumped into a girl he'd recognised from the university, knocking her belongings out of her hands.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Zard : The Balance 2djta8i
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 142322

Back to top Go down

Post by Altera Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:13 pm

((I would like to remind everyone not to control other people's character's without seeking permission from them first. There is now a discussion thread for this RP here ))

Tira drove her motorbike in the carpark nearest to the biology department. A few of her fellow third year biologists waved at her as she walked over to the lecture theatre, she returned the wave, shouldering off her backpack as she entered. Marine biology was one of her favourite subjects and Professor Liam Arrigan, one of her favourite lecturers. If Anthropology did not clash with Advanced Biological Data Analysis, she'd attend Arrigan's lectures for that course as well.

The professor was half submerged in the pool, checking that the main display was working; tanned, webbed fingers deftly adjusting the focus knobs and contrast settings.

She set her pack down in the front row before walking down towards the lecturer's pool, “Mornin' Professor.”

“Good morning Tira. Early as per your usual. How was your summer?”

“Not too bad. How'd the trip to the Philippines go?”

“It was... interesting. The local wildlife are thriving despite the prevalence of dynamite fishing in one of the areas I'm studying, it was most unusual. However, I did not appreciate spending hours on end waiting for my equipment to be checked by customs. I can only stand being out of the water for so long.” He massaged the area around his blowhole. “I saw that Doctor Pietà was impressed with your work over the break. It's hard enough trying to find someone willing to spend their entire summer conducting pest eradication when they could be partying or making better money elsewhere.”

“Well I did have the trainin' and the money I made sellin' the possum fur made up for it. Hopefully the numbers of invasive species in the reserve will permanently stay down. Want me to pop the course outline and lecture notes up by the door?”

“That would be excellent, Tira. They're still in the Lamson tube.”

Tira opened the Lamson unit and pulled out several tubes containing the required documents. She placed one of each beside her pack, placing the remainder in to neat piles by the door just as students started filing into class, and returned to her seat.

Once the rest of the class had settled down, Professor Arrigan cleared his throat. “Welcome to Biology Three-Seventy-Four, Marine Ecosystems.”
Altera
Altera
Crazy Awesome

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Thu May 19, 2011 7:58 am

Trudging through the rain over the campus, umbrellas firmly in hand, Keely and Rebel were chatting inconsequentially when they passed a group of rather sullen-looking young men. One of them screamed something that was probably rude in what sounded like Spanish; Keely didn't understand a word of it, but Rebel yelled back, "Vuestras caras son como las de burros y vuestros pelos parecen que han hechos de lana acerada!" The young men gaped at her.

"What did they just say?" Keely inquired casually of her friend.

With a smirk, Rebel replied, "They insulted us; I told them they had the faces of donkeys and hair that appeared to be made of steel wool."

Both girls laughed, and it occurred to Keely once again that, in many ways, Rebel's perfectly ordinary talent was equal to the extraordinary one that she, Keely, happened to bear. Who says the Mibdul are different at all? she wondered. Seems everyone has their talents if you look for them.

A few minutes later, the two girls reached the place where they parted ways to enter their first classes of the day. "See ya later," Keely noted.

"Take care," Rebel replied, and they headed off.
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Number of posts : 3679
User Points : 163931

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum