[TR] - Take Away Tom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mod Conference Room is Feeling Weak
by V Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

» First post of 2017 ?!
by Celstrial Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

» First Post of 2016?
by Payton Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

» Merry Xmas
by Altera Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm

» Your Awesome Pictures X
by Rage Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

» TR
by DigDog Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

» Wonderful Memories
by Mrsebi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

» Cool New Music
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

» Posting in these forums
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 am

Top posting users this week
No user

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Why Video Games Suck!

+5
DigDog
Tim Hortans
Erik
Cial
Mrsebi
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Why Video Games Suck! Empty Why Video Games Suck!

Post by Mrsebi Thu May 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Why video games suck

Let’s be honest here, we have all played the ever popular RPG style games: Fable, WoW, Spiral Knights, Diablo, Dragon Age, etc.

And they all seem to be getting worse, it seems that each new generation of always has more hype than the last, but each one is also worse: ‘’long storyline’s’ are really a few hours, innovating systems are much more simple than the ads make them out to be, and skills are reduced to bland cookie cutter powers: with no actual difference between a fireball and an ice ball outside of the color.

But yet, if we take a look at these games: its all there, there is at least one game that has the ideal for each problem: be it equipment, powers, story, or whatever.

Let’s take some examples: you have the Original Fable Lost Chapters.

The story is nicely paced and detailed, the world is interesting, the spells are varied and diverse and you even get to fight bosses!

Now let’s look at Fable 3.

The story is shorter, the ending is anticlimactic The monster variation has gone from ten to about five, spells have been replaced with gauntlets, weapons are now all useless as you get the strongest ones right off the bat, maps have been replaced with a stupid dog: and the plot really has no progression.

Seriously, take a look at it.

You do a bunch of stuff, then you beat the bad guy, then you have about thirty minutes of the so called ‘’kingdom manager’’ that was supposed to be hyper customized.

Its not! It’s just a bunch of black and white choices like saving the orphans or carving them up for black market organs.

But that’s ok! Sometimes changes aren’t so successful; the important thing is that the company learns right?

WRONG!

This is the THIRD game in the series, they didn’t learn: they just keep pushing it down the path of User warned: HECK! Fable 4 will likely eliminate all weapons and skills all together and just have your character use fireball throughout the whole game.

Ah, but there are tons of games like that right? They still have wonderful stories, tons of side missions and other important things to let you keep track of things, maps, save files, etc.

WRONG AGAIN.

Not only have Lionhead eliminated double saves, but they have rendered any map a 3D model that looks like its made by a child, meaning the only way to keep track of things is to wander around aimlessly and memorize it all, side missions are now just annoying cookie cutter quests that you do because the MAIN quest tells you to, and the story is pretty much lacking in any suspense: its now only good guy meets bad guy, bad guy wins, good guy trains, good guy fights bad guy again, good guy wins.

Now, before any of you start commenting on how I’ve been ranting about fable alone, this is just an example!

Take Bioware: NWN was a HUGE game! You had near limitless classes, skills, combinations and so forth: the world was large in any chapter and there were more side quests than the main missions themselves! You had a goal but you had to figure your own way there, no yellow light around the guy you had to talk to!

Now we have DA2, you press a button to attack, there are 5 skills per class, the same three zones are recycled and there isn’t even a plot direction! Heck, side quests are all along the lines of kill *** monsters or find my ***!

Take WoW, the first game was hard! Now we have auto groups, bland repetitive missions, a complete lack of storyline , and all gear being bought for tokens that a loving level 1 chicken drops!

Whats the point?

It’s simple: why make great games when good sells better. Companies have no interest in making a good game; they want a game that sells. That said, they will have a ton of ‘’cool features’’ but in reality the ad is pretty much all there is to it: they just make games to sell out quickly with more thought being put on how to advertise it rather than how to make it.

We can all imagine out ideal game:

Large open explore able world like NWN, with missions that make sense and have some meaning to them.

Gear and skills that don’t become useless as soon as you reach the next level or the next patch, make skills varied, make them matter! And gear? The stats themselves don’t matter much, but how about some value here? Its not fair to the players that Raid ICC40 for Shadowmourne to replace it with a rolling pin once the next expansion comes out!

And for the love of god, how about a story that doesn’t SUCK? Honestly I read so many good books that would make amazing games, but we are stuck with crappy shallow plots like in AQW or WoW.

This needs to change, but sadly it probably won’t… and I weep at what it could have been.
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Zard : Why Video Games Suck! Pinkxs
Number of posts : 2166
User Points : 74952

Back to top Go down

Why Video Games Suck! Empty Re: Why Video Games Suck!

Post by Cial Thu May 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Bro. You need to CALM THE MrSebi DOWN!

First off, you're comparing two very specific instances and making a very general statement about everything esle, so this article is EXTREMELY biased.

Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Zard : Why Video Games Suck! 2djta8i
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 142321

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Thu May 12, 2011 6:25 pm

So whats your opinion?
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Thu May 12, 2011 6:45 pm

Eh, some games truly are getting worse. I never am sure whether its the companies actually making them worse, or because after playing the same game we know so much that we expect the new game to "follow the old game style" and to "have awesome new features". Its impossible to satisfy the modern gamer.

But Sebs, DA:O had one button set to target an enemy, and then spells and things, you couldn't even choose when to attack or not. At least that was fixed in DA2.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard : Why Video Games Suck! M9vzwh
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1045547

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Thu May 12, 2011 7:12 pm

Definitely not biased at all. Just because YOU don't like how the games are turning out, that doesn't mean that the games suck. If people are still buying the games, they can't suck too bad, can they (there are exceptions to every rule but in general).

And some of your points didn't even make sense. Like magic being replaced with gauntlets. What's wrong with a change in game mechanics? Would you really want to play the exact same game over and over again? Some things need to change to stay succesful and if you don't like it thats your problem.

But I agree with WoW, that game used to be pretty good. Now it's absolute crap.

If this has typos, sorry. Everything is showing up as written wrong because I'm on my french computer.
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard : Why Video Games Suck! Whitecc
Number of posts : 3156
User Points : 228781

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Thu May 12, 2011 7:30 pm

Topic name is flawed too, by the way. Should be named "Why RPGs suck". Or rather "Why RPG sequels suck".

But that's wrong too. Not all RPG sequels suck. Morrowind was a great game, Oblivion was on par (or even better, depending on your tastes) and Skyrim will most likely be awesome too.

Another example would be one of the games that have been mentioned up there, namely Diablo. Diablo 2 has topped the first Diablo quite well. Diablo 2 is the sequel of Diablo. Sucks? No it doesn't. And from the looks of it Diablo 3 will be very decent, too.

Another example? Fallout. The first two have been marvellous, the third one, even though it went from isometric to 3D, is one hell of a game. Sequels not sucking, right there.

Hmm, maybe could mention Final Fantasy too but I think you got the point.

Just because you don't like a few games doesn't mean that suddenly everything sucks.

Also, what the others said. Personal opinion and matter of taste, you can't make a sequel and make it exactly like the first one, etc etc.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 144130

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Thu May 12, 2011 9:02 pm

Diablo two was a little unplanned: Nobody in their right mind would play it single player: and online its pretty short =| Likewise, the story isn't very clear or interactive.
Morrowind I tried, it had a good thing going but it seemed like it could be a lot better, was pretty good though.
Final Fantasy pumps out so many versions: I'm not even going to bother.
In simple terms, my problem is with these games that could be so good, yet the developers choose to forgo using their heads and just pack together a half assed game to sell quickly.
Compare DA2 with NWN, if NWN had DA2 graphics, it would be amazing.
Another example would be Pokemon, if you think about it: we are in Gen V and combat movement is a little twitching, you cant say that the game would be amazing if they implemented some real updates, and not just a copy paste story with new pokemon.
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Thu May 12, 2011 9:42 pm

You know, if it was so easy they would have already done it. But obviously it's not that easy. Therefore we have games like they are.

I for one liked Diablo 2 and I played it singleplayer as well as a very long time multiplayer, doing baalruns with friends and stuff.

I never liked NWN though, because it was too complex and whatnot.

See where I'm going? It's all personal opinion. Games you say suck are liked by many, many other people. Otherwise they wouldn't sell like they did.

But nobody forces you to buy them. Play the games you like and stay away from the ones you don't like. This rant of yours is kind of a waste of time for all of us, you included.

Last edited by DigDof on Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Actually, thats the thing: it IS easy, the reason is that games like all other products have become more marketable, companies have more reason to make a mediocre game in a few months than spend a few years on a good one.
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Thu May 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Correction: To spend a few years on a game that might be a good one. You never really know until it is out. And if you spent years on a game only to realize that it doesn't sell as expected then you are bankrupt and will never make games again.

You're forgetting how expensive it is to make games. They are forced to not have years and years of development because they'd run out of money or spend so much money that they would never make profit even if the game sold somewhat good.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Thu May 12, 2011 9:48 pm

True, but it depends on the company, just look at Diablo Three, its been in production for years!
Also, consider Fable 3 and DA2, both are horrible games that not only to not add anything new to the old games, but remove basic features like save files and maps which have been part of the game for ages!
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Gaskarth Thu May 12, 2011 11:04 pm

Good RPGs: Pokemon, Legend of Zelda.
Tom Gaskarth
Tom Gaskarth
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed

Zard : Why Video Games Suck! 2pt1bvm
Number of posts : 1991
User Points : 86294

http://twitter.com/IFlyDragons

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Fri May 13, 2011 12:06 am

Mrsebi wrote:True, but it depends on the company, just look at Diablo Three, its been in production for years!
Also, consider Fable 3 and DA2, both are horrible games that not only to not add anything new to the old games, but remove basic features like save files and maps which have been part of the game for ages!
> horrible games

They aren't horrible games. In fact, they are very good games. My favourite game magazine gave Fable 3 88/100 points and DA2 got 87/100. And those are quite good scores, only exceptional games get a score of 90 or higher from them. If I remember right they never gave a higher score than 93, which means they are picky.

So, both are good games. The developers might have made changes that make them different from their predecessors, but that doesn't mean they're bad games. That only means that you personally don't like the changes.

Look, I understand your point. They made a sequel you don't like to a game you liked. I've experienced the same with Black&White. I played the original Black&White for hours and hours. Then Creature Isle came out, I didn't like it because it focused too much on the creature. Then Black&White 2 came out and I didn't like it that much either because they came up with armies and whatnot. But does that make Lionhead a bad game company? No it doesn't, because there are lots of people who enjoyed those games

Like I said, if you don't like particular games, don't play them. Get a demo version or read a review before you buy a game to avoid spending money on games you don't like. Do whatever tickles your fancy, but don't say "ALL RPGS SUCK BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE THE FABLE SEQUEL!!!1". That's just shallow, biased and a rage induced rant which helps nobody.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Alderos Fri May 13, 2011 12:13 am

I dont like that nobody mentioned the elder scrolls series as an example of a series that gets progressively better. Skyrim may be iffy with the whole 2 hands thing though.
Alderos
Alderos
Evil lemon

Zard : Why Video Games Suck! Rustys
Number of posts : 646
User Points : 15248

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Fri May 13, 2011 12:30 am

Alderos wrote:I dont like that nobody mentioned the elder scrolls series as an example of a series that gets progressively better. Skyrim may be iffy with the whole 2 hands thing though.

DigDog wrote:Morrowind was a great game, Oblivion was on par (or even better, depending on your tastes) and Skyrim will most likely be awesome too.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Fri May 13, 2011 1:16 am

Tom Gaskarth wrote:Good RPGs: Pokemon, Legend of Zelda.

Zelda IS good, its just... I dunno, kinda easy after you play a few of them?
Really looking foward to the remake though.
Now, as for Pokemon, Im not saying its a BAD game perse, it just seems like... I dunno, like it could be so much more better? Gamefreak doesnt really go out of the comfort zone if you think about it, every single game has been the same sans a few small changes (following pokemon which they removed for some reason, extra island, battle frontier, etc)
I mean, it would be nice if they put more work into it.
Or made a Pokemon Online.
OR a spore or monster hunter based pokemon game.
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Fri May 13, 2011 1:45 am

>kinda easy
>water temple
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard : Why Video Games Suck! Whitecc
Number of posts : 3156
User Points : 228781

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Fri May 13, 2011 1:53 am

Actually, I found that to be the easiest dungeon in the game.
No joke, I dont get it why people found it hard.
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Back to top Go down

Post by V Fri May 13, 2011 1:57 am

Profanity removed, user warned, moved to "Entertainment" section.

~Already removed a bit before you as well
V
V
agina

Zard : Why Video Games Suck! 2pt1bvm
Number of posts : 3752
User Points : 10237723

http://www.trforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Fri May 13, 2011 2:13 am

Not all games are bad these days, and I'm a big proponent of that.

Bioshock, is actually an a mazing game, one of my top 3 favorites of all time, and yes, the 2nd one fell a little short of it's mark, which was to be better than a work of art. So what? It was good anyway, I had fun.

Portal is amazing, and so was Portal 2. No argument there.

Team Fortress 2 just gets BETTER AND BETTER AND BETTER. Again, no argument.

And I strongly disagree about your Fable 3 opinions, actually I found F:LC veryveryvery repetitive and boring, at least Fable 3 TRIED to give a new way to play the game. So what if being king isn't as fun as killing stuff? I HAVE WINGS, DERNIT.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Xusha Fri May 13, 2011 2:15 am

I'd rather see an innovative game than the same thing over and over. Sometimes ideas aren't good. It's as simple as that.
Xusha
Xusha
Active Poster
Active Poster

Zard : Why Video Games Suck! 3359xqb
Number of posts : 1130
User Points : 427906

Back to top Go down

Post by Alderos Fri May 13, 2011 3:55 am

.... diddog i completely missed that sorry
Alderos
Alderos
Evil lemon

Zard : Why Video Games Suck! Rustys
Number of posts : 646
User Points : 15248

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Fri May 13, 2011 8:33 am

Mrsebi wrote:True, but it depends on the company, just look at Diablo Three, its been in production for years!

What basic feature has been removed from DA2? DA2 has save files and maps bro, you press start and then move the cursor to save files, or you press the Xbox 360 "back" button and it shows you a map. Where is the issue?

I feel like DA2 got a worse reception than expected because it didn't have much of a main story, it was just side quests galore with a couple main quests in the middle that hardly connect in the end. It has much better mechanics than DA:O however, I mean, in DA:O you couldn't even choose when to attack! It was just click "A" then use spells, at least in 2 you could choose when you hit the enemy, like to stop attacking if the enemy is a mage with a shield up.

I'll give you one thing, Fallout: New Vegas was a bit of a step downwards from Fallout 3. Less sidequests, weaker (imo) storyline.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard : Why Video Games Suck! M9vzwh
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1045547

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Sat May 14, 2011 2:23 am

Erik wrote:
I'll give you one thing, Fallout: New Vegas was a bit of a step downwards from Fallout 3. Less sidequests, weaker (imo) storyline.

Fallout 3 was a very far cry from the original Fallout games. It was dark, gloomy and depressing. The games are supposed to be kind of humorous.

And yes, I LOVE both, but NV is my favorite because of the amazing content in it.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Sat May 14, 2011 3:51 am

Fable 3 was horrid though: the main features were supposed to be evolving weapons, lack of interface and the kingdom.
Kingdom took 5 min and was heavily broken.
Lack of interface just messed the game up, and yeah: they had no map or save like the previous two games.
And evolving weapons were crappy, since Magic had become even more of a one hit button.
Oh, and the slow-mo!
Its like, occasionally your character will slow down to emphasize an attack, but its really random and has nothing to do with the monster/attack, it could just as well be a normal cut on a bandit! Problem is that while the same slows down, you cant do anything and it stays slowed for a long time: meanwhile all the enemies swarm you...
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next