[TR] - Take Away Tom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mod Conference Room is Feeling Weak
by V Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

» First post of 2017 ?!
by Celstrial Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

» First Post of 2016?
by Payton Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

» Merry Xmas
by Altera Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm

» Your Awesome Pictures X
by Rage Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

» TR
by DigDog Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

» Wonderful Memories
by Mrsebi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

» Cool New Music
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

» Posting in these forums
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 am

Top posting users this week
No user

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Starcraft and Halo

+2
Peregrine
Erik
6 posters

Go down

Starcraft and Halo Empty Starcraft and Halo

Post by Erik Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:11 am

So I just realized that Halo's entire universe could have been stolen from Starcraft. My childhood just died.

Three races-

A technologically advanced group of humans/human like people (Terran vs Spartan)

A further advanced group of aliens that battle with a more energy style approach, including blades made of a type of energy (Protoss vs Covenant)

A species that assimilates the enemy into themselves, and mutates to evolve, containing large amounts of weak units (Zerg vs Flood)
-----------------------------------------------
A being before- Xel'Naga vs Forerunners

I just saw online that this all follows a chain back to Warhammer, and then I just died off inside.

Discuss.

Try not to flame your opinion.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard : Starcraft and Halo M9vzwh
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1045557

Back to top Go down

Starcraft and Halo Empty Re: Starcraft and Halo

Post by Peregrine Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:43 am

If you break it down so it's that simple, then yeah, Halo copied Starcraft. Which copied Marathon. Which copied Warhammer. Which copied Starship Troopers. And then Halo was copied by Mass Effect. Science fiction often draws from other science fiction to build upon itself and if you oversimplify it to the point where "Halo has technologically advanced humans in it just like Starcraft" then almost all sci-fi with humans in it is copying War of the Worlds.

In reality Halo drew from a lot of sources. Marathon was the big one, which was their previous game that they actually took content directly from and put it in Halo. Ringworld was the second biggest inspiration, which is where they probably got the halo rings concept from. Starcraft and Warhammer were probably other inspiration, but I wouldn't go as far as to say Halo copied Starcraft and only Starcraft.
Peregrine
Peregrine
Justice
Justice

Zard : Peregrine's rock.
Number of posts : 2007
User Points : 750555

http://twitter.com/PerryPeregrine

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:00 am

Not to mention, most gameplay elements from Halo are pretty much just ripped from Quake 3.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Zard : Starcraft and Halo 2djta8i
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 142331

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:05 am

@Peregrine: Hence my sentence that it all falls back to Warhammer.

Around the time Halo came out, Starcraft was wildly popular, especially in Korea. Based on the time period, it seems that Starcraft draws more directly from Starcraft, and indirectly from the start of the chain, whether it is Starship Troopers or even something else. It has the same concept of the races, the concept of the superior beings from before their time, the advanced species being religious... The list goes on when you really get into the specifics.

Starcraft and Halo 300px-HReach_-_Sangheili_Zealot
vs
Starcraft and Halo 1168165-zealot_super

The likeness is uncanny.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 am

I'm just so jaded whenever I see one of these threads.

"Star Wars stole from Star Trek because it has spaceships."
"Dungeons and Dragons stole from Lord of the Rings because it has elves, dwarves and halflings."

Even if someone comes up with something that only takes those elements that have become pretty much universal themes which people expect from sci-fi/fantasy and make something new using them as a base and weaving them into a cool setting/story, the best they can hope to receive "that's interesting but it's basically Starcraft because it has technologically advanced humans, religious aliens, advanced races that went extinct and parasitic organisms."

Also, if I'm going to compare elites appearance wise to another alien race, it's gonna be xenos.
Peregrine
Peregrine
Justice
Justice

Zard : Peregrine's rock.
Number of posts : 2007
User Points : 750555

http://twitter.com/PerryPeregrine

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:28 am

You're acting like I'm saying the base core of the game is the same, as if I was saying "Starcraft is an RTS and so is Warcraft". Don't try to dumb down my argument to make it seem weak. Read up a bit more on the Starcraft universe if you want to make an argument.

Infected Kerrigan vs Cortana. Both are strong members of the human region, and are captured and assimilated, yet have some memories and attempt to fight off the plague inside of them.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:49 am

Erik wrote:Don't try to dumb down my argument to make it seem weak.
But your argument is weak. For every similarity you list here there are 10 differences you didn't bother to list. Of course the core designs of some games are similar because there are only so many core designs out there if you reduce it to the basics. And there are so many games out there that sooner or later some of them will share some similarities. It's the rules of probability and statistics. If you go by that approach you might as well start comparing Starcraft with Aliens vs. Predator because there are also humans, technologically advanced aliens and slimy aliens.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 144140

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:04 am

Call of duty ripped off halo because they both have guns

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard : Starcraft and Halo Whitecc
Number of posts : 3156
User Points : 228791

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:57 am

Are we honestly saying that all of the limitless ideas in the world have been taken up? Because that is ridiculous.

I only bring up the comparison because I play both Halo and Starcraft and know a fair amount about each of their universes, and recognized the similarities. I'm looking for a counter argument from someone with the same information, not just to be written off as writing the generic "This is the same game" post with little to compare. Someone like SEBI.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:14 am

Good luck with that, I already completely lost interest in this topic because it's stupid.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 144140

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:24 am

Good luck with that, because I honestly couldn't care less if you left this topic because I want someone who knows the information behind the idea to present a logical argument.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:31 am

Erik wrote:Are we honestly saying that all of the limitless ideas in the world have been taken up? Because that is ridiculous.

I only bring up the comparison because I play both Halo and Starcraft and know a fair amount about each of their universes, and recognized the similarities. I'm looking for a counter argument from someone with the same information, not just to be written off as writing the generic "This is the same game" post with little to compare. Someone like SEBI.

One: F-u-c-k you.
Two: I happen to have played both series and know a good deal about the world.
Three: EVERY game draws from another, as well as history. The Protos/Sangheili don't copy from each other, they probably have designs based on Samurai and other ''honorable warrior'' archetypes. You can draw similarities between anything, and you can find differences as well. Furthermore, the reason that games continue to use the same themes over and over isn't always a lack of new ideas, but simply because it's easier for the audience to relate to existing stereotypes.

Consider that actual alien (if they exist) would probably have cultures and behaviors FAR different from ours, the kind of which most of us couldn't even imagine, much less comprehend. Your average gamer doesn't have an interest in that as much as he has an interest in shooting things. So the company just dumps alien samurai/ninjas into the mix and sends it off.

Concepts such as ''us'' (Terrans, Spartans, regular Humans, Space Marines) ''the honorable warrior race'' (Orcs, Protoss, Sangheili, Eldar) ''the endless horde'' (Zerg, Flood, Tyranids, Undead) and so forth are reoccurring for just that reason. They are easy to understand and they let us instinctively know what we are dealing with so we can skip the history lesson and get down to shooting.
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Zard : Starcraft and Halo Pinkxs
Number of posts : 2166
User Points : 74962

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:40 am

Good enough for me. The language was unnecessary though.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: