[TR] - Take Away Tom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mod Conference Room is Feeling Weak
by V Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

» First post of 2017 ?!
by Celstrial Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

» First Post of 2016?
by Payton Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

» Merry Xmas
by Altera Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm

» Your Awesome Pictures X
by Rage Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

» TR
by DigDog Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

» Wonderful Memories
by Mrsebi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

» Cool New Music
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

» Posting in these forums
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 am

Top posting users this week
No user

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Time to die in Dwarf Fortress.

+7
Erik
Tim Hortans
Cial
DigDog
Mrsebi
Tom Gaskarth
Leb
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 Empty Re: Time to die in Dwarf Fortress.

Post by Tom Gaskarth Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:33 pm

Leb, pl0x change "Shotgun" to "Tom"
Tom Gaskarth
Tom Gaskarth
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 2pt1bvm
Number of posts : 1991
User Points : 86293

http://twitter.com/IFlyDragons

Back to top Go down

Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 Empty Re: Time to die in Dwarf Fortress.

Post by Leb Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:40 pm

It's Pere's turn to play an year on the fort now.
He'll handle all that business.
Also, I shouldn't have named the people right after waking up. Took a while until I realized that "hey, he didn't mean Shotgun as a NAME". Oh well.

EDIT: Good and bad news.
The good news are that Toady released a bugfix to a bunch of things.
The bad news are that he advises people to restart any games started on the initial release. Apparently there were a bunch of building-related bugs that are "slowly killing the game" or something.

I'm doing some work on updating my mod though, so gimme a while on that. It's gonna be hilaaaaaaaaaarious, I promise.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 Defaultpet
Number of posts : 420
User Points : 27054

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:45 am

I'm dead...
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 2djta8i
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 142320

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:27 am

It's totally Digs' and Razgrizs' fault.
Also, the game got it wrong: I'm not friends with ANYONE!
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 Pinkxs
Number of posts : 2166
User Points : 74951

Back to top Go down

Post by Xusha Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:52 am

I predict someone will be eaten by zombies. If possible.
Xusha
Xusha
Active Poster
Active Poster

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 3359xqb
Number of posts : 1130
User Points : 427905

Back to top Go down

Post by Arch Fiend Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:08 am

holy crap, razgriz has his own online game now?
Arch Fiend
Arch Fiend
The Epic Knight
The Epic Knight

Number of posts : 334
User Points : 83803

Back to top Go down

Post by V Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:13 am

no
V
V
agina

Number of posts : 3752
User Points : 10237722

http://www.trforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:54 am

OKAY! Sorry it took so long, but it took a while to finish all the funky updates to the mod and so on. But now it's time to start the fort again after the game-corrupting bugs are dealt with(probably)! Also picked up Ironhand's graphic set, I HOPE DIGDOG IS HAPPY NOW.

The fort name, JETPACKHOEDOWN. It's a 1x2 mountain spot surrounded by 5 different sinister tropical grassland biomes. Either it'll be hilarious, or not special AT ALL. Let's hope for hilarious.

Renamed people again, Peregrine is in as well. Will name the new sign-up's once migrants show up. BUT NOW, HERE ARE OUR BRAVE HEROES!

AGAIN!
Mr. Sebi, the Miner/Stonecrafter.
Erik the Miner.
Tom Gaskarth, Blacksmith/Weaponsmith.
Tim Hortans, Brewer.
DigDog the Axewoman.
Cial the Crossbowman.
Peregrine the Carnie.

Here's the current relationships with people:
DigDog and Cial are lovers.
Tim and Erik are lovers.
Everyone but Sebi are friends, who's a long-term acquaintance to 'em.

Anyway. So the group parked the wagon in the middle of 2 hills. Pretty normal, and it's a pretty good spot to camp. It's the only safe biome around, so we should be safe with corpse storing as long as they're done within the middle of the map.

After breaking the neck of a zombie bird, we put up some quick walls and a raising bridge to get everything nice and sealed safe. Right now our only worry are the herds of undead rhinos that once already wiped the fort. I was doing expanding outside to secure a farming area, an aardvark had it's stuffings beaten out by Dig and then the herd of rhinos stamped all over him, Cial and everyone else.

Have a picture of the fort right now. I'm calling it now, we gotta tear down these two hills in the future and build two huge towers to replace 'em.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:33 am

This is one weird tileset. What have I done.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 144129

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Tim :) <3<3<3<3<3
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 M9vzwh
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1045546

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:46 pm

DigDog wrote:This is one weird tileset. What have I done.

There's just so much a tileset can do in a Dorf Fort game where you play a mod that has a bazillion creatures modded in, and the guy who did that doesn't do sprite art well to give 'em graphics. Seriously, it's tuff.

Also, there was some problems with how the game was showing some certain plants and grasses but that's fixed now. You also wouldn't believe how slow the game is to start up now.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:04 am

Time to play again!

So there have been a few peregrine hawk attacks lately, undead ones. Luckily Cial and DigDog were more than a match for these fearsome beasts, although Peregrine did their fair share of help when we were building an atomcompressor to "process" the undead menace once and for all.

Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 Df1gw

We also got a migrant wave who managed to not piss off the undead rhinos. Say hello to our new friends!

Felix the Clothier.
Ieb the Lye Maker.

Besides those two named migrants, there's also a farmer, weaver, tanner and a kid.
13 people in the fort now.

As Autumn arrived, we also found the magmasea. Which is good because I'm gonna kickstart the metal industry as soon as I find out whether or not this site has any warfare-metals. If not, then whooooo boy are we screwed.

Pic related, it's Erik digging a room to place the forges and smelters at. Sebi does nothing these days but sleep and go on breaks, that jerk.

EDIT:

Middle of autumn. Two things happened simultaneously.
First, we got migrants. Another metalsmith, a potash maker, a peasant and 2 more kids.

The second thing? We found out why there were all those damp stone warnings on our forge area. The tunnel I meant to use to channel open tile to let magma into the channels turned out to be holding back water from the 3rd cavern level. Right now our planned forge area is busy being submerged completely. Need to mine around it and replace it, because we don't have a lot of space to move since the flooded area is also one of the only spots where there's not magma immediately beneath, preventing further digging down.

EDIT2:
Well that's it for my first year on this fort. Didn't really do much but dig trenches, make fortifications and scrounge for metal desperately. We can make bronze with what we have right now, it's better than nothing but I had hoped we'd get steel from native sources.

We got enough bronze to gear up Dig and Cial on full bronze outfit, I think, so at least that's looking good. Too bad Tom decided to sleep and screw around for the last month instead of making the god damn armor. Oh well. As long as nothing breaches the entrance bridge, we're safe.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUN

Or some other appropriate sound effect.
Anyway, it's up to Peregrine now to run the fort for one year. Anyone is of course free to hop along this train to hell, because I found out that the mountain we're at isn't safe from reanimating the dead as I thought it was. Luckily so far the only things to come to life have been birds.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:54 am

Erik wrote:Tim :) <3<3<3<3<3

Back off my man.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 2djta8i
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 142320

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:47 pm

Did one of the migrants names get changed to felix? wanna know who I am.. :P
Felix
Felix

Number of posts : 774
User Points : 23915

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:47 pm

So I tried Adventurer mode on this thing, never played too much that mode so yeah.

I was doing pretty good. Killed some wild critters, made a backpack and some basic bone and leather armor, then went to do my first quest, to kill the moon monster nearby a hamlet.

Well it turns out that the moon monster had a whole family in its lair. Six or seven of 'em? Too bad for them my masterplan killed them all! Kited four of 'em out of their lair, into thick spiderwebs outside and when they were helpless, I stabbed their heads off.

Two I took out in melee combat inside their lair because I could. Tossed the corpses outside and set 'em on fire. From their lair I got a fair share of loot too, coins, steel and bronze armor. I was doing good.

Then I went to cross a river, jumped in and right next to me was a malgru. It tore off all my limbs before I knew what was going on and I bled to death.

Dang it.

And Felix, I already posted a link about your character. It's right there, above Ieb's profile shot.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:57 am

dont hit on me slily boys ;)
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 Whitecc
Number of posts : 3156
User Points : 228780

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:32 pm

Because I'm a jerk I'm posting this instead of Peregrine.
Yesterday I found out that his comp is worse than mine.
Shocking, I know. This was found out by his computer being brought to it's knees by the raw processor-draining power of Dwarf Fortress.

The problem will be "solved" by yet another restart, this time it's his turn to generate a world and take the first year though. Let's hope that restart will be the last, eh?
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:22 pm

brought someone to bed lately? indestructible? crazed fellowship AND a member of jetpackhoedown? THE GAME MUST HAVE CAMERAS IN MY HOUSE!
Felix
Felix

Number of posts : 774
User Points : 23915

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:35 am

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91093.0
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 Pinkxs
Number of posts : 2166
User Points : 74951

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:06 pm

There's nothing wrong culling parasites from your FPS-draining society. And if they survive to adulthood, you can just draft them as soldiers!

Maybe I should start a new fort for you jerks. What with a new updated DF out, a new updated mod out and yadda yadda.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:39 pm

Yeah you better.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. - Page 2 M9vzwh
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1045546

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:40 pm

i call being the child torturer
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:18 pm

Because I'm such a nice guy, and I really hate your guts, I'm giving you people the honors of doing a bunch of choices! The first one to call 'em will have all their wishes come true, in this particular scenario of course. Nothing outside of the range of this post will be fulfilled, no matter how many unicorns you have.

Anyway.

Options are as follows, with details as well!

Vanilla DF, with the AQ mod or both?

Vanilla DF: The normal Dwarf Fortress experience, humans, elves, goblins, dwarves and kobolds. A large number of normal creatures, most exotic creatures are living in the underground(giant cave spiders, trolls, cave dragons etc.) or in savage regions of the world(giant eagles, giant desert scorpions and other giant creatures).

Pro's:
- DEM DORFS MAN

AQ mod: A bunch of monsters from AQ, some from DragonFable and a whole bunch of civs to boot. Some hostile, some friendly.

Pro's:
- The Adventurer civ is meant for fightin'! Anyone can be recruited into the military.
- The Adventurer civ is meant for creatin'! Erryone has wildly fluctuating physical and mental stats, so even a novice can create a lot of masterworks just because of their stats.
- All the monsters and hostile civs give surprise challenge.

Con's:
- Adventurer civ might have it too easy since anyone can be recruited, and they crank out superior goods even with adequate skills.

Both vanilla mode DF and the AQ mod:

Basically the same as a DF game with the AQ mod in, except the vanilla entities, humans, dwarves etc. will also be present.

If you want to choose both vanilla mode DF and the AQ mod, check this out.:

And now, to embark area options!

Special Areas
Special areas are spots that you can't solely embark on. Meaning mountains and bodies of water. If you pick either of these areas, you need at least ONE(1) normal area to surround the Special Area. You can pick both a mountain and an ocean/lake in the same embark area, but again you need one normal area to go with 'em. List is as follows:

A) Mountain
B) Lake/Ocean

Special Areas 2
Special Areas 2 are those funky spots that create features on the embark area, but don't force you to pick a normal area. List is as follows:
- Volcano(some are on ground level, others make a mountain by themselves due to being a volcano)
- River(options are a normal river or a major river. I think there's a minor river too. Anyway, the difference on 'em is the river width, and in some cases the height since major rivers tend to carve a good path on the ground around 'em, think along the lines of Grand Canyon)

Normal Areas:
These are the areas that govern the selection of wildlife and plantlife(if there is any) on the embark area. List is as follows:
- Glacier
- Tundra
- Swamp
- Taiga
- Coniferous Forest
- Broadleaf Forest
- Grassland
- Savanna
- Shrubland
- Badlands
- Rocky Wasteland
- Desert

Temperature on the part of the world we're finding the PERFECT SPOT can also do some changes, like a hot enough area makes for tropical forests and so on, cold makes forests to taiga and coniferous forests and whatever. The only big change there will be depending on the normal area picked is whether or not there will be native plantlife. For example, deserts, badlands and wastelands will have very little plants and trees growing aboveground, while glacier obviously will have none.

And now for the last option, which may be the most important one. The surroundings. Put simply, it's this:

Evil
Evil regions have EVIL PHENOMENOMS, in the newest version it means these things: Evil weather, I'm talking about blood rains(the least dangerous phenomenom), rain of muck or other unpleasant substances(effects range wildly, might cause a fever, might suffocate you instantly) and of course, evil mists(again the effects range wildly from disease symptoms, to instant death, to turning anything living caught in it to a zombie(easy to kill though) or a husk(GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER!). Besides the evil weather, an evil area might be one that raises the dead, making it a challenge to make meat by yourself, since skins or hair that aren't tanned or weaved will raise as undead(figure it out) and at worst they can injure and/or kill your people. The evil area might also have both evil weather AND raise the dead, or have one but not the other. There is no way to tell what the area is like until you get there. In the order of severity of EVIL, the list is as follows:

- Sinister
- Haunted
- Terrifying

Undead are more likely on Haunted and Terrifying. In Sinister, depending on the area you might see harpies, ogres and other evil wildlife.

Neutral
Neutral areas are normal, just standard wildlife and weather.

- Calm
- Wilderness
- Untamed Wilds

Good
Good areas have no such thing as "good weather" or good effects, the only thing different on 'em are stuff like unicorns, or some plants that only grow in good areas. Areas are as follows:
- Serene
- Mirthful
- Joyous Wilds

Savage
To all the above areas, there is one more BONUS CHOICE, Savage areas. They are places that civilization does not settle during worldgen, but offers no problem to embark at. Well, except for the giant versions of wildlife. You might see giant kangaroos, giant eagles or giant badgers where you're at. This can be a good thing if you like giant wildlife to tame and domesticate, or a bad thing if the first thing that happens is that a bunch of giant badgers flip out and charge your dwarves. Of course, Evil Savage areas can have stuff like undead Giant Badgers and so on.

- Joyous Wilds(Good)
- Untamed Wilds(Neutral)
- Terrifying(Evil)

Now that you know, get to making a choice! Or multiple. Decide EVERYTHING if you feel like it, I don't really care, you're the ones to decide your fates after all. Just one last thing: The surrounding thing is for finetuning. If you don't care, just say stuff like "A mountain surrounded by a desert!" and I'll work by it. But if you really know your stuff and want to make others suffer, then it's obviously "An untamed wilds glacier and a terrifying taiga!"

Now get to it.

If you REALLY feel like it, call for some speshul things. Like "the fort will make and sell the finest of furniture/armors/glass items!" and so on. Use your imaginatioooooooooooooooooooooooon. Building projects are included in speshul things. How long it'll take to finish a project depends on it's size and the amount of available workforce. Remember, the more stupid or crazy ideas or projects I'm given to do, the more interested I am in playing the game! It's easy to make Dwarf Fort #45: Nothing Hostile Gets In, but it's also boring.

In case someone wants to get a turn on this thing, just say so and we can switch Overseers every year ingame. Of course that won't happen just like it hasn't happened so far.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom Gaskarth Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:24 pm

What ever you go with I'll be your manly bearded blacksmith.
Tom Gaskarth
Tom Gaskarth
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed

Number of posts : 1991
User Points : 86293

http://twitter.com/IFlyDragons

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:09 am

WOW THATS RELALY BIG I ONLY GOT LIKE A QUARTER OF THE WYA THROUGH IT?!

anyways i'd say we go vanilla df with somewhere interesting to embark. Maybe terrifying savage? I dunno.
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next