[TR] - Take Away Tom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mod Conference Room is Feeling Weak
by V Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

» First post of 2017 ?!
by Celstrial Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

» First Post of 2016?
by Payton Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

» Merry Xmas
by Altera Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm

» Your Awesome Pictures X
by Rage Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

» TR
by DigDog Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

» Wonderful Memories
by Mrsebi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

» Cool New Music
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

» Posting in these forums
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 am

Top posting users this week
No user

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Your favorite writer.

+6
Erik
Deathclaws
Winnie
Juliana
Charon
Mash
10 posters

Go down

Your favorite writer. Empty Your favorite writer.

Post by Mash Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:47 am

Post your favorite writer and what you like about them.
Mash
Mash
Fabulous Joker!

Number of posts : 450
User Points : 12883
Location : Inside the world and free country, the United States, where I am developing my artistic career.

http://fantastic-mash.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Your favorite writer. Empty Re: Your favorite writer.

Post by Charon Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:34 pm

I am fond of Lloyd Alexander, Erin Hunter, Stephen King, and Shakespeare, to name a few.
-Lloyd Alexander(The Book of Three Series, The Iron Ring) has a brilliant writing style and writes about his own idea of magic.
-Erin Hunter(The Warriors Series) is actually three writers that write together. They write about animals as if they were as intelligent as humans and could converse with each other, which is no easy feat.
-Stephen King isn't news to anyone, but I love a good horror story and he sure can write them.
-Shakespeare isn't news, either, but he is worth mentioning nonetheless. I enjoy his style of writing, and his characters are always intriguing.
Charon
Charon
Charbear!

Zard : Your favorite writer. Ezzy
Number of posts : 2052
User Points : 2147489283

http://www.twitter.com/charontheshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Favorite writer?

Well, I've got a LOT of them. First of all, there's J.K. Rowling. When I first read her work, back when I was five, my impression was, "Wow, this is the first time in two years I've actually read something at my level!" I kept reading and growing, and it just kept getting better. The newest book was always a higher reading level than the one before it, so I felt like the series was growing along with me. Then, finally, Deathly Hallows was perfect. It was the story I'd always wanted to read but never really known it. It was more amazing than I can describe.

Stephenie Meyer. Twilight changed a lot about my perspective on life. It was another one of those Aha moments: my first-ever romantic novel. Only after reading it was I able to actually write a love scene. (Why did you think the hero of the Saga of Traitor and Betrayed Part 1 could not fall in love? I wrote the groundwork for that story before Twilight was published.) And it changed me in another way, too: I noticed that a lot of the phrases she used in the novel sounded downright... familiar. It was the first time I ever read a published book of more than six pages in which the characters talked the same way as I.

Erin Hunter. I absolutely agree with what Charon wrote about her above, and would like to add that the thing that struck me most about her books, the first time I read Into the Wild, was that it seemed almost complex enough to be two books. It just kept going and going and going after a lot of books would have said the storyline was done. Sadly, she seems to be losing that knack; she now has to take three books to say what she used to be able to do in half of one.

William Shakespeare. Quotable, timeless, poetic, honest, dreamy, insightful... what's not to like? Maybe the reason we still love him after four hundred years is because he still says all the things we used to know, but take too much for granted to really see, and all the things that we'd like to be able to say, more beautifully than most people could dream of achieving.

There are many more, but by this time I am in serious debt of sleep. To quote Shakespeare, "Good night, good night! Parting is such sweet sorrow that I shall say good night till it be morrow." (From Romeo and Juliet, Act II, Scene I)
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Number of posts : 3679
User Points : 163934

Back to top Go down

Post by Charon Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:30 pm

Juli, I liked Twilight as well. Idc what people say, she is a good writer, thats that.

And you read Warriors as well? Well, that is something I don't hear very often. I completely agree with you, the first six books were the best. They are still very good in my opinion, but it does take her longer to get her plot going now. Have you read them all?
Charon
Charon
Charbear!

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:59 am

Wow, been awhile since I posted in this thread. To answer the question Charon asked weeks ago, I've read all but one and a half of the Warriors books. I couldn't get my hands on the last one in Power of Three and I got bored with Eclipse. And when I first got into online roleplay and all, I met hundreds of people who had read Warriors. This is most likely because I got my start with Warriors roleplay.

I've found the time to list more of my favorite authors, too!

Tamora Pierce. She's something of a lesser-known author, and she writes these amazing books about teenage girls in a medieval world who take control of their own lives and wind up legends. I've gotten a lot of inspiration out of her books.

Diana Wynne Jones. I'm very fond of funny fantasy books, and Diana Wynne Jones writes them well. Actually, I think her later work is a lot better than her earlier ones, since it seems to have taken her a while to figure out her characters. (Winnie, take note! Charmed Life has a sequel that's even better!) Ironically, I was introduced to her work by a good friend whose last name is Jones.

Brent Weeks. You might notice that he is the exception to the rule of my favorite authors, which is that I generally like women's writing better. No particular reason. I just read more books by women. But the Night Angel Trilogy by this author is one of my very favorites, because it reminds me of Twilight in the best possible way: it looks dark and depressing on the surface, but the moment you start reading, it's compelling and even humorous.
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Back to top Go down

Post by Winnie Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:14 am

I read the first 5, but I loved BlueStar.
Winnie
Winnie
DaughterofSpades

Zard : Your favorite writer. Cosmicl
Number of posts : 3889
User Points : 387720

http://www.twitter.com/butterfly60075

Back to top Go down

Post by Charon Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:43 am

I agree, Winnie, I miss BlueStar. However, now they have a book from her perspective, which I can't wait to get my hands on.
Charon
Charon
Charbear!

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:46 am

Really? A whole book from Bluestar's point of view? I'll have to go look for that!
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Back to top Go down

Post by Charon Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:48 am

Yes, it's like the book, Firestar's Quest, which was more story from our original kittypet friend. xD
Charon
Charon
Charbear!

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:51 am

Funness. I've got Firestar's Quest, I'll have to look for this new one next time I'm at the bookstore.
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Back to top Go down

Post by Winnie Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:23 am

Amara got one of the books Early becuase mom knows a person who knows a person who knows the author...s...
Winnie
Winnie
DaughterofSpades

Zard : Your favorite writer. Cosmicl
Number of posts : 3889
User Points : 387720

http://www.twitter.com/butterfly60075

Back to top Go down

Post by Mash Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:32 am

I've always been a hardcore fan of Stephen King. I've never read The Shining though; the movie was too good! I thought, after seeing it, there was no need to read the book, but now I can tell the difference. The book is more themed around the characters, and you begin to feel very connected to them, while the movie is more horror-themed.

I'm about halfway through.
Mash
Mash
Fabulous Joker!

Number of posts : 450
User Points : 12883
Location : Inside the world and free country, the United States, where I am developing my artistic career.

http://fantastic-mash.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathclaws Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:26 pm

I have taken a strong liking to the works of HP Lovecraft, creator of both the cthulhu mythos and the fabled "necronomicon" which is frequently used in modern literature.

As to twilight: I find the story both unoriginal and unbelievable (its set in a real world, with the exception of vampires its just plain earth), her style and expression quite weak, and many ideas stolen.
Deathclaws
Artist

Number of posts : 339
User Points : 23856

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:07 am

I guess I am going to have to say a tie between Brian Jacques, who wrote the Redwall books, and Christopher Paolini who wrote the Eragon series.

Brian Jacques is more like my smaller read favorite, and Christopher Paolini is my big read favorite.

Then again, Agatha Christie's murder mysteries are quite the stories...

Last edited by erikm10 on Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard : Your favorite writer. M9vzwh
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1045551

Back to top Go down

Post by Altera Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:52 am

Tamora Pierce- She writes well developed characters. I loved the "Protector of the Small" Quartet and I can't wait for "Mastiff" to be released.

Timothy Zahn- His Star Wars Extended Universe novels 'Survivor's Quest' and 'Outbound Flight' were a great read. And the Dragonback series was a fantastic read and the final chapter in the first five books provided a bit of a twist to the events, making you think what side some of the other characters were on.

Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston- More Star Wars writers. But the X-Wing series was addictive. "Starfighters of Adumar" would be my favourite, on account of some crossdressing. /grins
Altera
Altera
Crazy Awesome

Number of posts : 5783
User Points : 90243

http://argentis.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wixmagic Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:41 am

Ok well I'll start with my favourite, J.R.R. Tolkein! (The Hobbit, Lord of the rings series ^.^)
Diana Wynn Jones one of my favourites was the merlin conspiricy :D
lets see, lets see lets see...there is more but I can't think right now, will edit.
Wixmagic
Wixmagic
KuKuKuKuKu

Zard : Your favorite writer. Lightdn
Number of posts : 1169
User Points : 115104

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeonarial Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:14 pm

My favorite writer is Mark Twain whose portrayal of cultural dialects is amazing.
Aeonarial
Aeonarial
Brother/Artist/Writer

Zard : Your favorite writer. 2uos0he
Number of posts : 1549
User Points : 11395

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:01 am

Altera wrote:Tamora Pierce- She writes well developed characters. I loved the "Protector of the Small" Quartet and I can't wait for "Mastiff" to be released.

Timothy Zahn- His Star Wars Extended Universe novels 'Survivor's Quest' and 'Outbound Flight' were a great read. And the Dragonback series was a fantastic read and the final chapter in the first five books provided a bit of a twist to the events, making you think what side some of the other characters were on.

Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston- More Star Wars writers. But the X-Wing series was addictive. "Starfighters of Adumar" would be my favourite, on account of some crossdressing. /grins

Tamora Pierce and Timothy Zahn? :D I love you

Methinks I'm in good company these days... the Star Wars novels ARE great. Ever read the Heir to the Empire trilogy? That was the part that got me into both Timothy Zahn and the Star Wars expanded universe...
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Back to top Go down

Post by Altera Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:07 pm

I've read the comic version. I keep meaning to read the proper novels but Borders don't have them in stock and the public library copies are always taken. The New Jedi Order and the X-Wing Rogue Squadron Comics were what got me into the EU.
Altera
Altera
Crazy Awesome

Number of posts : 5783
User Points : 90243

http://argentis.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeonarial Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Juliana wrote:
Tamora Pierce and Timothy Zahn? :D I love you

Ack! I have been stolen from. Another of my favorite writers is Walt Whitman....I really don't know why I like him....I just do.
Aeonarial
Aeonarial
Brother/Artist/Writer

Zard : Your favorite writer. 2uos0he
Number of posts : 1549
User Points : 11395

Back to top Go down

Post by Wixmagic Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:52 pm

you just reminded me about Douglas Adams! :o can't believe I forgot him
Wixmagic
Wixmagic
KuKuKuKuKu

Zard : Your favorite writer. Lightdn
Number of posts : 1169
User Points : 115104

Back to top Go down

Post by Icey Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:31 am

Uhh...I have a lot
Cassadra Clare- I dont care what people say, I dont think City of Bones, City of Ashes, etc. are girly :D
Suzanne Collins- Hunger Games was EPIC
Rick Riordan- Percy Jackson series was great, Im seeing the Lightning Theif movie Tomorrow
JK Rowling- I read all the Harry Potter books :D
John Flanagan-Cant wait for the next Ranger's Apprentice book

Those were just a few authors of some of my fav. series, I read A LOT
Icey
Icey
Ron Swanson

Zard : Your favorite writer. M9vzwh
Number of posts : 2553
User Points : 128026

http://icewolf-king.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down