[TR] - Take Away Tom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mod Conference Room is Feeling Weak
by V Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

» First post of 2017 ?!
by Celstrial Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

» First Post of 2016?
by Payton Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

» Merry Xmas
by Altera Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm

» Your Awesome Pictures X
by Rage Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

» TR
by DigDog Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

» Wonderful Memories
by Mrsebi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

» Cool New Music
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

» Posting in these forums
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 am

Top posting users this week
No user

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Role Play Discussion

+9
Malkoir
Vampiric
Wixmagic
Cial
Juliana
Charon
Shadow
Deathclaws
Atriax
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What do you think of RolePlay?

Role Play Discussion Vote_lcap85%Role Play Discussion Vote_rcap 85% 
[ 17 ]
Role Play Discussion Vote_lcap15%Role Play Discussion Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 3 ]
Role Play Discussion Vote_lcap0%Role Play Discussion Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 20

Role Play Discussion Empty Role Play Discussion

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:21 pm

Seeing as roleplay has kicked off again (namely Grey), I figured it would be appropriate to have a thread discussing it. This is where we can talk about our character's storylines, things that we post on there, how you like roleplay, and so-so. You can also clarify things with other people so they don't accidentally cause a paradox* in their post(s). Anyway, discuss away!

* Our current paradox total is well over 100. Good job peoples. ^^

Moved to the ARP section and stickied.
-Shadow

Last edited by Weena on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:37 pm; edited 8 times in total
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Role Play Discussion Empty Re: Role Play Discussion

Post by Atriax Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Personally, I think you've given yourself too big a role too quickly.
Atriax
Atriax
DemonHunter

Number of posts : 501
User Points : 27153
Location : In the shadows... and not Shadow the player, the dark kind of shadows.

http://www.moglintales.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathclaws Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:00 pm

What I dislike about the RP here in TR is that its not in fact roleplay. Its interactive storywriting. Character development is impossible, because anyone can control your character. Dialogue is not in fact interactive, since one person can write it all. In normal Roleplay everyone plays her or his character and that is IT. This ensures surprising duels and conversations. Its called ROLEplay for a reason. Everyone plays a single ROLE

So are we also going to post our character BIOs in here?

@below "interactive storywriting" or just "interactives"

Last edited by Deathclaws on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deathclaws
Artist

Number of posts : 339
User Points : 23872

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:13 pm

i............have to agree with DC, RP is a bad name for this topic, still, i cant think of anything better =P
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:21 am

Added a poll so that votes can become more see-able.

Dialogue is not in fact interactive, since one person can write it all.

I kinda agree, but Hunter, Juli and sometimes I get on AQW to talk about what we're gonna do with each other, for permission. Also, it's kinda of a waste if there's one post for every sentence. :/
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathclaws Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:38 pm

lol, thats not how you roleplay. One sentence? Please take a look at sites such as
Roleplaygateway
or
legend of the green dragon
If you ever roleplay somewhere else you'll notice that its not just ONE LINE (thats for newbies and terrible RPers). Its just a lot more sophisticated

I kinda agree, but Hunter, Juli and sometimes I get on AQW to talk about what we're gonna do with each other, for permission
Just you 3 SOMETIMES. and when you plan roleplay ahead it takes most of the suspense and surprise out of it. And again, duels aren't possible at ALL.
Deathclaws
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:10 am

I was reading a few RPs on Roleplaygateway and I must ask, how are they any different to ours? (Except being more sophisticated)
I saw people contolling other people's characters...
Shadow
this is a title

Number of posts : 3430
User Points : 572093

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathclaws Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:15 am

Please link me those, I have engaged in about 15 RPs there up until now, never even READ anything in that direction. Theres NPCs (characters that weren't taken and can be controlled by anybody and individuals that aren't important to the plot etc.), but thats not your personal character. If everyone can use eachothers characters, why would their be things like "personality" and "bio" in the sign up forms? Wouldn't make sense because everyone plays it differently. As far as I know, controlling anothers character reaction and/or the outcome of a certain fight/dialogue is generally frowned upon in the roleplay community and is known as either "bunnying" or Powergaming or Powerplaying (not to be confused with god-modding)

Again, links please bc I am unable to find any.
Deathclaws
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:32 am

Meep.

I found out they were only doing little things like smiles (and the like) instead of speech, or they were NPCs.

Sorry 'bout that.
Shadow
this is a title

Back to top Go down

Post by Charon Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:35 am

Duels seem silly. It would have to be around one to three sentences per post, because you can't really do much in one turn without saying something the other character did...
Plus, here in TR, we are very community based(examples: Grey, ACT, Cons, Collaborations, etc.), an idea that some people just do not seem to understand. So call our style of roleplay whatever you like. Art is all about expression, and to make rules that restrict creativity(such as this 'bunnying' rule you keep refering to) is just plain ridiculous. Just like there are many forms of art, writing, music, theatre, cooking, dance, architecture, etc., there can be many forms of roleplaying. Just because you enjoy participating in a different form doesn't make ours wrong. Period.
Charon
Charon
Charbear!

Zard : Role Play Discussion Ezzy
Number of posts : 2052
User Points : 2147489299

http://www.twitter.com/charontheshadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathclaws Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:51 am

It just seems that it deserves a totally different term, simply because I can't find any other place where this is called Roleplay. If its a community, its called "interactive storywriting". Thats the term usually. Writing.com has that fx.
By not having the bunnying rule, character development is virtually impossible, and theres quite a lot of people that invest a long time in creating a character, coming up with a bio and standard reaction etc. that character has. A single post can cast all that into the dumpster because it doesn't fit the characteristics anymore.

Also, Charon, let me show you a dueling post or two (I actually took part in this one, so its not that sophisticated):

... and for a moment his eyes widened when he saw the sword materialize.

But he did not charge his opponent. The double edged blade in Kamoris hands and its use was not a mystery to him, and it angered him quite a bit. Taijiquan, fluent movements to strengthen health, both in body and soul, was something you used for self defense , not something you attacked with.

"How many forms Kamori, how many routines are used to wound a foe, when he is not even raising his sword against you? Do you really think I will make the first move? I am not a madman like Malcolm, and I am not as confident as Yuiko. I will certainly not engage you in melee combat as the attacking force."

One hand wandered to a holster unbuttoned it, and the Uzi fell out with ease, landing in his opened palm. The cold steel on his hand still felt strange, even after all the years of aiming, shooting, killing with it. The dark angel locked onto his target, blade in one, gun in the other hand and began firing a hail of bullets, clips on his belt that could be slammed into the empty weapon by simply bringing it down after emptying the old clip out ready. "Who do you think I am scum?!" He screamed, the look on his face was both desperate and a bit afraid "Who do you think I am?!" He kept pulling the trigger, and didnt want to stop.
~I do not want to die. I want to bloody live! For hells sake, why did it have to come this far?~

The reponse was something along the lines of

Kamori smirked as Agnafarius spoke. He himself knew of the many forms of Tai Chi or Taijiquan. He hadn't planned on killing Agnafarius but rather challenged him, seeing his flaws, his weaknesses, his battle technique and his level of power, though ultimately he would wound Agnafarius, there was no doubt about it.

Bullet upon bullet escaped the chamber of the Uzi as they traveled a great speeds towards Kamori who seemed to be unphased by Agnafarius's sudden outburst. He held his sheathed weapon out in front of him. His hand slowly grasping the handle of the blade. As both hands where secured on the weapon, Kamori began to pull slowly, the shimmering metal of the sword revealed the blade inch by inch then suddenly Kamori pulled the sword out completely. It shimmered and, as if commanded by the sword, the winds began to pick up, swirling around the battle field. The bullets seemed to obey the sword as they too began to drop ever so suddenly. With each shot fired, the bullet would simply fall to the ground, with no intention of harming Kamori.

He took a stance and circled his footing until he stood once more facing Agnafarius. His sword grasped in his hand like an extension of his body. With a burst of speed, Kamori shot forth, flipping over Agnafarius. He landed ever so silently behind Agnafarius and with silence so deafening, swung his blade.

He sheathed his blade and walked over to a rose bush. Plucking a rose, he sniffed it and smiled, "your time is not now, but soon Agnafarius, remember how close you where to death today and rethink your options more clearly."

It is quite possible to stretch dueling posts, but of course you will argue that the example above also advanced the plot. So lets look at a sophisticated battle arena post by nonpareil. Up until now, all the opponent has done is kick a stone at him and raise his wakizashi:
Nonpareil wrote:

After the overdramatic display, Nonpareil noticed every tiny movement his opponent made, ending with what seemed to be a test of his own reflexes. Upon noticing the stone flying off the ground, Nonpareil simply pivoted inwards on his right foot and allowed the left part of his body to turn back, his left foot moving backwards in a half circle to allow the stone to sail by harmlessly. Although it could have been the aforementioned test of his reflexes, to Nonpareil, it only served as a means to unhook the scabbard from his belt almost completely. His cold, focused eyes staring back at his opponent with a look of confusion on his face at that last action, Nonpareil took the scabbard in his left hand and removed it from his belt, holding it loosely near its edge. If this was to be the kind of offense he was to expect from this man, this bout would indeed be shorter than he expected.

Implement this kind of dueling posts into regular RP and you've got yourself quality right there mister.

If someone'd actually manage something along the lines of the following posts ofc, thats just 1337 incarnated

Written by: Beramode
A grave miscalculation had taken place somewhere in the five seconds it had taken the Immaculate one to close distance with Pendragon. There wasn’t any single blast and they weren’t coming from any set direction. Hundreds of softball sized orbs were collapsing on Weiss from every direction, the very same ones he had deflected in the opening moments of the match. Ducking would only leave his back exposed to the pellets raining down from the sky, but still it was his chosen course.

“Tch.” It was the only response to come from Beramode’s razor thin lips. In a world of infinite possibilities, the only single concrete fact in his mind of minds as he stared down on the Immaculate one from his upturned nose… was ‘tch’.

His body barely seemed to flinch even as the bullet hell swirled all around him, pellets of energy whipping by and grazing the tails of his lab coat or a stray lock of hair but always missing(even if by mere centimeters). Like Moses parting the Red Sea, the ocean of bullets split open around Beramode’s body, every blast that came too close to touching him being nudged from the side just enough to curve it off to the side, causing it to inevitably miss.

Could he really have expected any less? Beramode had already displayed enough mastery over his own energy forms to manipulate on a level so small it was invisible to the naked eye. So why did they think it was so simple to hit him with his own energy?

Regardless of the fact, Weiss would duck and dig his fingers into the grating. In a single fluid motion Beramode would drop into a crouch, stretching out a gangly limb in the time it took Weiss to initiate his kick, and grabbed the extended leg firmly around the ankle. For a dainty skeleton of a man trapped in a woman’s body, the scientist was surprisingly strong. Magic coursed through these veins, ingrained into the very nature of his being the same way Mako fueled the experimental SOLDIER; leaving the bones of his body thicker then the armor of a tank and the tightly corded muscles around them the cannon that it fired. If Weiss did in fact let himself get caught, he would find the vice like grip more then enough to hold him in place.

From there things would go from bad to worse. Beramode was by no means a fan of contact with other people and Weiss was not the exception to the rule. One of the many charges he had stored up would release itself directly into the Immaculate one’s body. This time it came in the form of an electrical charge, the white hot energy would flow into his legs and take a direct path up his body, until it finally reached his hand and dispersed itself into the metal grating below.

The effects would be twofold. The shock was going to be painful, no doubt frying every nerve ending in Weiss’ body that it came across. But more then that, the blast would relax his muscles, leaving him limp and helpless to fight as Beramode swung him up into the air and spun around. The third and final attack would take place in the form of the scientist whipping Weiss through the air by one leg, slamming him into the incoming wall of energy for a full spin and a half.

The combined force of Beramode’s supernatural strength and the magical bullets flying at high speeds would hit Weiss like the equivalent of several car crashes one after another. Whether the Immaculate one survived the assault or not Beramode would immediately release his leg, letting Weiss’ body fly where it may.

Of course none of this would happen if Weiss somehow managed to avoid landing his own kick inside of Beramode’s palm. But if he hadn’t been smart enough to figure out the last attack, then the scientist had little faith in him being able to avoid this one.

btw, the whole grating fingers and all that was actually done in the post by the other guy, Beramode just repeated his actions to make it clearer (context and all that)

Last edited by Deathclaws on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Deathclaws
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:00 am

Having run quite a few more-traditional-type RP sites in the past, I have to say that this kind of roleplay is much easier to be literate with, as we used to say. I mean, back when I was on no-powerplay sites, I always had a whole slew of characters just so that I could write complex scenes all together.
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Number of posts : 3679
User Points : 163950

Back to top Go down

Post by Charon Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:04 am

Well, it is called roleplay. The words 'community' and 'interactive' mean the same thing in this case, but yes, it is roleplay.
And it is not impossible to develop a character, and one post will never completely destroy the character unless it's a truly terrible RPer, which we dont really have. To develop your character, do it within your own posts, and hopefully the others will catch on. Grey is a good example. While you dont seem to be happy with it, most of us seem to understand each others characters fairly well, its just the writing style that differs, which makes it very interesting. And if someone does end up doing something you don't feel your character would, just keep going, and fix it if possible. It doesn't kill your character unless you let it. This isn't professional writing; it wont be graded or paid for; it's simply for our pleasure, so dont worry so much about it. And I'd also really appreciate it if you'd stop dissing it every chance you get. We have heard your opinion many times, and we just don't agree that our style is incorrect, so either live with it or RP on those other sites and leave us to RP here.
I do see what you mean now about dueling, but still. It seems like a lot of action without any storyline developments.
Charon
Charon
Charbear!

Back to top Go down

Post by Deathclaws Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:13 am

Having run quite a few more-traditional-type RP sites in the past, I have to say that this kind of roleplay is much easier to be literate with, as we used to say. I mean, back when I was on no-powerplay sites, I always had a whole slew of characters just so that I could write complex scenes all together.

I see your point, but it all depends on what you deem "complex". If your RP partner is skilled and knows how to react appropriately without being either too weak or too strong (balance and all that), that really makes a great (and complex) RP. However if you have a bunnying, powerplaying opponent with all skills and no flaws, RP goes to hell if you don't have over NINE THOUSAND other characters.

@Charon
Indeed, in Grey it was totally ok to kill off my character. I wrote that after all. But suddenly I became weak willed (someone controlled my mind apparently) and I didn't even react at all when a blade ended my life (a rogue ought to have the nescessary reflexes to at least draw her/his blade?)

I do see what you mean now about dueling, but still. It seems like a lot of action without any storyline developments.
well I guess thats what dueling is about. a lot of action without much of a storyline. It really is just if you enjoy imagining the scenes, characters reacting to it logically and all that, so its all about personal preference again

I'd also really appreciate it if you'd stop dissing it every chance you get. We have heard your opinion many times, and we just don't agree that our style is incorrect, so either live with it or RP on those other sites and leave us to RP here.
Ok, lets just do it that way. I'll shut my mouth and leave that topic alone. Seems like my words won't change your opinion anyway XD

@below: The thing is, if I get on 2 hours later, and a post has already been made afterwards, this could disrupt the flow of the entire RP, which is really something that shouldn't happen. If one edits his post, everyone else who reacted to the unedited one will have to alter her's or his' too!

Last edited by Deathclaws on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:21 am; edited 7 times in total
Deathclaws
Artist

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:14 am

And just to add to Charon's post, if you have a problem about someone using your character in a way which hurts it's development, couldn't you talk privately to the person about fixing the problem?
Shadow
this is a title

Back to top Go down

Post by Charon Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:17 am

Exactly. Since we do have such a community based clan, discussing the story with others is definitely a good thing to do. And it's not just a couple of people who do it. I've talked with Shadow, Walt, Weena, Kao, Juli, Ryzaa, Flaw, and Vamp about it. It really helps to keep everything going smoothly.
Charon
Charon
Charbear!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:58 am

Yeah, communication is key to keeping everyone happy. It's for fun anyway, and most people seem to enjoy developing their own personal storylines.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:45 am

I'd like to have my character dealt with...He's kind of mindless searching for Doomfire and Starfire.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Zard : Role Play Discussion 2djta8i
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 142341

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:17 am

Hm, Cial's post gave me an idea. Perhaps we could discuss and ask what we're allowed to do with other people's characters here?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:24 am

Yeah, discussing plot/characters/other stuff to do with Grey here would be fine.
Unless we want to make a new thread for that?

Oh Weena, that reminds me, when you were picked up by Hunter/Juli/Yolkys, was that in Klasthe?
Because I didn't think they would be able to enter...
Shadow
this is a title

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:31 am

The Yolky's power tempoarily allows them to bypass the magical barrier.

Emphasis on tempoarily. Also, only Tritocry can do it, so no other peeps getting ideas. :o

Reasons made up on the spot ftw! :o
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 am

That doesn't explain why Hunter and Juli could get in. ._.
Shadow
this is a title

Back to top Go down

Post by Juliana Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:32 am

Sure it does! Or didn't you notice that we were RIDING Tritocry?
Juliana
Juliana
Storyteller!

Number of posts : 3679
User Points : 163950

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:03 am

Yeah but- oh, nevermind...
Shadow
this is a title

Back to top Go down

Post by Charon Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:16 am

I think what he means is that tritocry can suspend the barrier, meaning they can get through as well.
Charon
Charon
Charbear!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down