[TR] - Take Away Tom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mod Conference Room is Feeling Weak
by V Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

» First post of 2017 ?!
by Celstrial Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

» First Post of 2016?
by Payton Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

» Merry Xmas
by Altera Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm

» Your Awesome Pictures X
by Rage Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

» TR
by DigDog Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

» Wonderful Memories
by Mrsebi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

» Cool New Music
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

» Posting in these forums
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 am

Top posting users this week
No user

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 15 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 15 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Time to die in Dwarf Fortress.

+7
Erik
Tim Hortans
Cial
DigDog
Mrsebi
Tom Gaskarth
Leb
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. Empty Time to die in Dwarf Fortress.

Post by Leb Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Yes indeed, this time a thread for this isn't made by Fishtank, but by me!
HA HA!

So to sum this up quickly: There's this game for the PC called Dwarf Fortress. What we're gonna do in this thread, is to observe all the stupid crap our avatars within the game get into by themselves(it cannot be stopped, they WILL get themselves into situations they get killed in).

But Leb, what do you mean?

Shut up and let me finish, that's what! So the game has two real modes, Dwarf Mode and Adventurer Mode. For this thread, we're gonna go with Dwarf Mode. In it, we start with 7 brave fools who are out to create a new glorious outpost/town/city for their civilization. As migrants show up, the fort will have to grow bigger and better, because migrants means that you're doing things right, and doing things right attracts people who like to steal your stuff or just kill you! Not to mention the occasional dragon, giant, minotaur or other giant creature that wants to attack us.

YOU there can post in this thread and claim one of the starting 7 people, what their job will be and so on. Since I'm too lazy to post the jobs here, check this Wiki page for 'em. If you're REALLY picky, you can demand for a specific gender too. In case you don't make it for the starting 7, you can demand a migrant to be named after you. I'll try to follow your petty demands and specific jobs you want as close as possible. Here's the military skill page if you want to be a soldier from the start.

For the sake of testing things out, we're using my mod for this thing. Yes sir, we're going to play a Dwarf Fortress game with the AdventureQuest mod installed. Need to test that all the funky stuff works properly in the new DF version.

For the CHALLENGE, we're embarking on an evil biome as well. There's all sorts of nice things there, rain of blood, deadly smog, undead that keep on raising up and so on.

Some funky stuff to hype you jerks up:
- Necromancers are now in. They either learn the secrets of their trade by god-made slabs of life and death, reading a book another necromancer wrote about the art or by seeking out a necromancer to learn from. They can show up in Dwarf Mode, to attack players with an army of undead.
- Evil biomes are hilaaaaaaaaaaaarious.
- Best story so far that I've found was about a female sneevil. The little jerk became a thief, stole crap, became a general, tamed the earth dragons and later on the cave crocodiles, stole a book from a necromancer and became a necromancer. The last entry in their bio was them become the Warlord for their people. Go you, sneevil.
- Vampires and werebeasts are also in. Vampires can disguise themselves as normal people and even show up as a migrant in your fort, starting their bloodsucking spree there. Werebeasts are usually people who profaned a temple during worldgen and the god cursed 'em, but gameplay-wise, they can show up and attack your minions, turning 'em into wretched beasts that transform every full moon, or something. The curses are RNG-generated so specific details will vary.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. Defaultpet
Number of posts : 420
User Points : 27055

Back to top Go down

Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. Empty Re: Time to die in Dwarf Fortress.

Post by Tom Gaskarth Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Shotgun Blacksmith/Weaponsmith
Tom Gaskarth
Tom Gaskarth
Tumbleweed
Tumbleweed

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. 2pt1bvm
Number of posts : 1991
User Points : 86294

http://twitter.com/IFlyDragons

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:29 pm

I'll be a miner.
Or a craftsman.
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. Pinkxs
Number of posts : 2166
User Points : 74952

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Axedwarf. Yes.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 144130

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:25 am

HUNTER. I WILL BE MANLY DWARF.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. 2djta8i
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 142321

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:04 am

I should warn in advance that I throw hunters by default into active ranged-warfare militia. Because otherwise, being a hunter is also known as "being a lone victim". Especially so in the sort of place we're embarking!

But sure, Dig probably needs some backup. Let's hope there's not any skeletons around though or you'll be completely useless!

3 more spots available on this train! Also, since me and Peregrine were talking about starting a community fort once the new version rolls out, I think this is it. So we're gonna be taking turns controlling the fort and all the poor schmucks in it.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:43 am

I'll be a brewer.
I heard the new update is out, I'll have to download it later.
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. Whitecc
Number of posts : 3156
User Points : 228781

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:47 am

I'll be a miner.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. M9vzwh
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1045547

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:47 am

Let's see, what would be a nice place to embark at? Oh here's one! A spot where the Useless Hills(haunted tropical savanna) meets the Impure Wastes(terrifying badlands)!
Truly the best place in the world to start a thriving fortress at!

I guess with six people signed up I can grab the 7th spot and we can just get started, that's what people want right? I'll be the Armorer, we're gonna need some armor after all, haha!

Without further ado, here's our 7 brave souls!

Shotgun, Blacksmith/Weaponsmith.
Mr. Sebi, Miner/Stonecrafter.
DigDog, axeman.
Cial, hunter/crossbow(wo)man.
Tim Hortans, Brewer.
Erik, Miner.
Ieb, Armorer.

And with that done, LET'S GET SOME GLORY!
HERE WE GO, TO MAKE THE FORTRESS OF-

Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. Df1e

Fluffyfluffybunny?

...whatever. Also, I swear I did not pick that name by myself. CURSE YOU, RNG!

So far so good, we didn't come across a bazillion undead right at the start, there's some actual living trees to cut down to make stuff out of and the only thing on the map is a giant louse.

It's actually pretty goo-

I spoke too soon.

This rain is causing some minor discomfort on everyone. Meaning everyone suddenly got a fever. Oh well, at least their heads didn't rot off or anything like that, right?

...and all of a sudden, it's raining harpy blood as well. God damn this weather.

The brown spots are where the muck is falling, the red? Harpy blood. All the red X's you see are our brave settlers, down with the fever.

I ordered our miners to dig deep into the rock, and it looks like we hit some siltstone. Here's to hoping we find some iron-ore. Flux is pretty common as far as I've noticed, so as long as we get iron, we can get steel.

DigDog is currently putting his axeman skills to the test by chopping down trees for our use, I think I'll tell Cial that they can be a dabbling carpenter until a better one shows up. Wouldn't want to sleep on the dirt, right?

26 days in, the giant louse finally buggers off(GET IT?) and an acid spitter crawls up. They immediately notice Tim Hortans, who is participating in the current project of building a nice entrance with big, sturdy walls to keep nasties out. The order is given, and Cial and DigDog team up, soon beating the crap out of the acid spitter. We've showed them a lesson they won't soon forget! A bunch of giant kangaroos hop onto view, but they're not a big deal right now. LET'S GET THAT ENTRANCE BUILT UP, COME ON GUYS!

With Spring nearly at an end, the most threatening thing we've seen has been that acid spitter, although I didn't like the look of that giant snail. Oh well, we're doing pretty goo- HARPIES

OH GOD WATCH OUT TIM!

Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. Df1e

Cial and DigDog get their hustle on fast, and engage the harpies in mortal combat! Okay, mostly Cial did that. We sort of forgot to buy a crossbow, so they have no weapon or bolts. I'll just have 'em make their own out of wood and bones!

Cial dispatches the whole herd by punches and kicks, most of which crack skulls and tear brains.

Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. Df1ao

Maybe they should have been a martial artist instead.

Tim is taken indoors to safety, but it looks pretty bad, they took a good hit on their spine on their way down. Since we lack anyone with medical abilities, I appointed Cial to work on Tim for the time being. Construction on fortifications must go on, even if we have 2 workers less.

With Summer on the way, we are finished with building a nice protected area for farming. With the roof on top, we don't have to worry about harpies either! Now we just need to do the same on the entrance. Wouldn't want traders getting a fever, right?

Tim's situation however looks grim. There's no water anywhere on the surface, and even if there was, I'm sure that harpy blood wouldn't do much good. We need to dig deep, dig greedy, if we're to save him! Cial's diagnose regardless does not look good. Total paralysis, they say. Tim will never move his legs or hands again.

Lucky for Tim, we find water in one of the vast caverns below. It took a while, but we now have a crude well area for water. It doesn't look that bad either, although the fact that the guy breaching the wall had all the harpy blood and putrid muck on 'em mixed into the water makes me wonder how sanitary it is.

On Malachite, two migrants showed up. A hunter, who actually has not ever held a weapon in their life, and a brewer with some basic military skills.

So, IS THIS EXCITING ENOUGH FOR YOU PEOPLE YET?
From the look of things, this evil biome doesn't have the effect of raising undead to terrorize us relentlessly. There are those harpies, I saw a few ogres walk about, and then there's the whole "raining blood" and putrid muck, that upon further examination also causes minor blisters where the muck hits.

Or do you want an actually evil area where everything killed raises up as an undead until we're all dead?

In case we keep this one, what sort of a fort do we want? Underground one, like a normal dorf outpost, or BUILD WALLS AND TOWERS AND SO ON outside, screw the blood and muck rain?
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:02 am

>I'm a badass

>inb4 Tim and I get hitched
>inb4 Sebi is useless.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:20 am

God dammit Ieb use a tileset already.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:23 am

Well you know, there's 2 issues.
First, I don't know if there's a graphics set out for the new version yet.

Second, this DF has a mod installed. And since it's mine, I'd have to draw all the graphics myself for all the creatures.

But fine, if I find some graphics set for this thing, I'll use it from now on.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:24 am

Thank you.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:48 am

Tilesets are for casuals
also dat feel when paralized. at least another brewer came up so the dorfs would still have booze
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. Whitecc
Number of posts : 3156
User Points : 228781

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:13 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I finally managed to get some thread made thanks to the migrants showing up and Cial's masterful medicine abilities have given back your ability to move.

You still can't walk or use your hands though. You're probably just wriggling around like a maggot. Maybe a caterpillar. A very ugly caterpillar.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:41 pm

its not like we've done this vefore or anything. I dont care, but I want to be a something!
Felix
Felix

Number of posts : 774
User Points : 23916

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:44 pm

Those forts were done in sucky versions where we didn't have raining blood.
Since you're being so vague, I'll give you the most useless migrant we now have, the hunter who has no military skills at all!

HAHA.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Mrsebi Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:38 pm

Cial wrote:>I'm a badass

>inb4 Tim and I get hitched
>inb4 Sebi is useless.

I'm the miner/stoneworker, pretty much essential as I'm the only one who can competently (and I use this term very VERY loosely) deal with stone.

Also, make a nice big basement.
Mrsebi
Mrsebi
In Your Head

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. Pinkxs
Number of posts : 2166
User Points : 74952

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:55 pm

Making basements is easy. But seriously, will we make the fort completely underground, or start building towers and so on above?

In other news, I found some limonite on one of our mining tunnels that provided all the siltstone we needed for walls and roofs on our current buildings. Coal too. Looks like we're well on our way to getting some steel up on this thing.

I'll arm EVERYONE too. Because god damn we're going to need that once the sieges start rolling in, what with the dozen or whatever hostile races this mod has.

EDIT: Interesting things I've noticed from the mod:
- Nagas and gorgons are quite keen on becoming necromancers. Their civs are for some reason also the least likely to expand far. In several worlds, there are quite a few of necros from those two civs. I've only seen 1 moglin become a necromancer. Also, found a dwakel who got scared of death so they stole a silver slab that taught them how to become a necromancer(also immortal). Unfortunately for the dwakel, they were killed in 55 by a phlox, and along that, the silver slab was lost as far as history is concerned.

EDIT2: Started making an underground bunker sort of fort. We'll be just like the nazis! Or something.

Also, uhh, Cial, good guess. You ARE lovers with Tim.
For the rest of the crew, here's the relationships:
Cial: Lover of Tom, Friends with Ieb, DigDog and Mr. Sebi.
Mr. Sebi: Friends with Ieb, Erik, Tim Hortans, Cial and DigDog.
Erik: Lovers with Shotgun, friends with Cial, DigDog and Ieb.
DigDog: Friends with Ieb, Erik, Tim Hortans, Cial and Mr. Sebi
Shotgun: Lover of Erik, friends with Ieb.

EDIT3:

26th of Sandstone going. Still mining. Making a stone floor on the entrance too, to get rid of all that putrid muck covering everything. We got migrants too, but then two angry protesters showed up and set one guy and his pet on fire. The inferno that followed killed the rest.

EDIT4: Cial is dead. Upon retrieving the corpse of one of the burnt-to-cinders migrants, a horde of giant mosquito fell upon her, tearing her apart. I told DigDog to go and help, but he was taking a nap so there was nothing that could be done at that point.

Guess I got to make ANOTHER coffin then.

EDIT5: And so ends my year. Now I just have to wait for Pere to show up and shove responsibility down his throat. Besides the whole "Cial got torn apart by giant mosquitos" we also got the downstairs forge area powered. With MAGMA. Nothing can go wrong now!
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:51 am

sorry. could I please be put in the fort? (can you rename people?)
Felix
Felix

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:04 am

Yeah, you can rename. I also totally forgot you signed up for.
All the burning corpses sort of distracted me.

Peregrine has the fort save right now so I'll leave it up to him to rename you. Since I never got to name you though, you probably could even pick between the 2 migrants who showed up. The other is a Hunter(now planter) who never has held a weapon in their life and the other is a brewer with some soldier skills.

Assuming that Pere doesn't grab one of the available people to rename, in which case you won't have a choice after all.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:30 am

I'd like to be tjhe brewer, but if someone else wants it thats fine. and nice to meet you leb!
Felix
Felix

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:58 am

I do love me a shotgun. Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. 4933-Angry-Farmer-With-A-Shotgun-Clipart
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard : Time to die in Dwarf Fortress. M9vzwh
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1045547

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:30 am

DAMN.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Leb Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Don't worry, once we get more migrants you can just claim a new guy.
Cial II and so on. I bet by the time this fort ends some horrible way, we'll all be up to XIV on claimed avatar numbers.

Also, hello to Felix too.
Leb
Leb
Murderbeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next