[TR] - Take Away Tom
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Mod Conference Room is Feeling Weak
by V Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:52 am

» First post of 2017 ?!
by Celstrial Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:06 pm

» First Post of 2016?
by Payton Wed May 25, 2016 3:57 am

» Merry Xmas
by Altera Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:13 pm

» Your Awesome Pictures X
by Rage Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:57 am

» TR
by DigDog Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

» Wonderful Memories
by Mrsebi Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:06 pm

» Cool New Music
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:48 am

» Posting in these forums
by Mrsebi Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:40 am

Top posting users this week
No user

I need some Frogzard sprites

Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 am by V

Comments: 34

OUR DOMAIN IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE

Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:43 am by V

but I renewed it.

what have YOU done today, TR?

also I'm not sure if heartbleed effected us but you should probably not change your password, the jitterbug gang are working hard and they need …

Comments: 30

I forgot my password

Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 212 on Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:47 pm
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Under-appreciated Games

+5
Peregrine
V
DigDog
Arch Fiend
Cial
9 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Under-appreciated Games Empty Under-appreciated Games

Post by Cial Sun May 13, 2012 11:18 am

So guys, today I started to replay one of my favorite games for school. And while playing, I kept wondering why it's not given as much praise as other games that are just as good or if not worse. So TR, what games have you played that aren't talked about a lot or given a lot of credit, but are still very good or amazing games?

My favorite underrated game is The Saboteur.

What's cool about the Saboteur is that it's very unique, but at the same time feels familiar. It blends some of the best parts of popular games, Grand Theft Auto, Assassin's Creed and others, and tosses them in with an original plot, setting and art style to create something beautifully new and fresh.

What you get, is what would happen if Assassin's Creed were to be set in Nazi occupied Paris and had a baby with GTA's driving and destruction. And damned if it isn't fun.

The story takes place in Paris, a city with very unique culture and style, as well as a few famous monuments to explore and climb...and then toss Nazi jerkoffs off of. But killing isn't always the game's main focus. A large portion of the game involves what the title suggests, sabotage. During the game, you'll find that most of the city is in black and white. It's a metaphor for people being oppressed, people afraid to leave their homes for fear of Nazi punishment. But as you take back the city, blowing up Nazi supply depots and fuel stations, dismantling their camps and watchtowers, the city comes back to life, and color pours back into the walls and streets and sky and even people's clothes. Not everything is bright and cheery again, but things are changing, things are getting better. People are more willing to fight.

For the price it's going for now, it's definitely worth your time to try it out. If you're a fan of GTA and Assassin's Creed, it's probably something you'd like and maybe even love as much as I do.

What are your favorites?
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Zard : Under-appreciated Games 2djta8i
Number of posts : 3457
User Points : 142331

Back to top Go down

Under-appreciated Games Empty Re: Under-appreciated Games

Post by Arch Fiend Sun May 13, 2012 11:44 am

most of the games i play/own are between 10 and 30 years old. there a guideline to this thread :P cuz theres probably only about 100 other ppl who play the ones i do in the world on a reguler bases
Arch Fiend
Arch Fiend
The Epic Knight
The Epic Knight

Number of posts : 334
User Points : 83814

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Sun May 13, 2012 11:49 am

Oh I bet some people play them, Arch!
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Sun May 13, 2012 12:19 pm

30 year old games? Name a few of your oldest, I bet I played them.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Number of posts : 3197
User Points : 144140

Back to top Go down

Post by V Sun May 13, 2012 8:07 pm

Minecraft
V
V
agina

Zard : Under-appreciated Games 2pt1bvm
Number of posts : 3752
User Points : 10237733

http://www.trforums.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Peregrine Sun May 13, 2012 8:13 pm

How about Freelancer? I thought that was one fantastic game although the only other person who I know played it was DigDog and he didn't like it. Something about there being too much to explore and his OCD flared up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHAPSs5XrSQ

Anyway Freelancer was a space flight simulator in the future that starts after this cutscene in the sirius system. You're trading some boron to some guy and things go a bit sideways, the station you're on explodes, only one escape pod launches, you end up in Liberty space, and your pal gets carted away by paramedics upon landing with you reminding them of the importance of him living as he still owes you some credits for the boron regardless of whether or not it exploded with the rest of the station.

Cue the actual game.

Like I said it's a space flight sim, so most of the fighting is starfighter dogfights, although you can use a frigate if you are so inclined. If you're a merchant some people believe that frigates are a good idea as they carry a lot more cargo, although I tried it once and got blown out of the sky before I even made it halfway to my target so I stick with fighters.

Anyway so you can buy lots of different starships, customize them with even more different weapons, get in with factions, take on jobs, hunt down pirates, commit piracy, explore, whatever you want. The exploration is coolest whatever DigDog says as most systems have something new to offer, fields of crystalized ice to fly through, stars colliding, nebulae (sometimes radioactive nebulae, oh dear), asteroid fields you can mine, everything you need from a space simulator. There's a main quest as well but I wont get into it, other than to say it's well written and really cool.
Peregrine
Peregrine
Justice
Justice

Zard : Peregrine's rock.
Number of posts : 2007
User Points : 750555

http://twitter.com/PerryPeregrine

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Sun May 13, 2012 11:36 pm

I never said the exploration is bad, to the contrary. I said the exploration was too good, too much to explore. And by that I don't mean randomly generated stuff that gets boring after you've seen it the third time, I mean actually interesting systems that make you want to explore. And that's where the game killed me, there was just too much to explore. The game was literally too big and interesting for me because, as Pere mentioned, my OCD flares up and I want to, no I need to, explore everything.

So yeah, Freelancer is definitely a game very worth playing. Maybe I'll give it another shot at some point when in need for a nice space game, since there aren't that many good ones out there.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Sun May 13, 2012 11:54 pm

V wrote:Minecraft
^^Over $80 million in sales.

Dark Souls is a name that I have thrown around very often. The game has a workable story, impressive NPC interactions, a wide array of bosses, entertaining combat, innovative multiplayer, and a wide range of environments to explore.

The story of the game is tough to find if you don't know what to look for to get the information. It for the most part goes like this; You are a man who was killed and cursed with the darksign, granting you eternal life as an undead. You are thrown into a jail cell to rot away for eternity, but the guard with the key is killed and knocked in. With new hope, you make your way out of the jail to the world where four different lords control the world and cover it with darkness. On the way out, you find a dying knight who notices that you haven't gone crazy and started attacking everything the way the other undead have, so he charges you with a quest to ring the two bells, one above and below undead burg, to see if it can remove your curse.
After the bells have been rung, a giant opens up a large, trap filled castle. You pass through that, and eventually are told that you are the true Lord of the world, and that the other Undead Lords were trying to keep you from rising to power. You then receive a powerful tool that lets you warp between your checkpoints, and can talk to two different serpents. One tells you that you are destined to replace the current lord Gwyn and link the fires (checkpoints), and the other tells you that you are destined to defeat him and keep the fires from being linked. You can't judge which is the good ending, and which is the evil ending. In the end, you make your choice.

The serpents are the only un-killable NPC's in the game as far as I know. Everything else is killable and has item drops related to them. Killing them is a bad idea though, because as you progress they give you advice, can offer you to join guilds, can assist you in boss fights, and can sell you items at different points of the game. They appear/reappear just as you start to feel alone in the large world.

Every boss has a unique type of attack weakness, different attack moves, and a different strategy to defeat. Not only are they difficult, but defeating them is ENTIRELY skill based. The game has been beaten at level one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyVAuiW6vc4

There are many different types of enemies to fight in the game. Every time you heal at a checkpoint, every non-boss and non-miniboss comes back to life. The challenge is not if you can beat the enemies, its whether you can beat them and keep enough equipment to handle the bosses. You are limited in the amount of healing items you can get, and the main way requires you to rest at a checkpoint. Each enemy has a unique style and many different ways to kill. They all have their own limits, as you do, so you feel equal to them, and feel like skill is the difference between you two. You can parry attacks and counter for massive damage, backstab for massive damage, break an enemy's guard by having a weapon that has more stunlock than their poise, or simply stand back and shoot spells or throw fireballs at the enemies.

The game has multiplayer unlike any other game. When you are in the world, you can see transparent versions of other players in the same area as you, and what they are doing. It keeps you from feeling lonely while you struggle through. There is an item called humanity that you use to make yourself look like a human instead of undead. It opens new dialogue with NPC's, and if you are human other players can invade your world to kill you for your humanity. Many of the guilds you can join have unique PvP styles. Generally, if you are in an evil guild, you attack people in good guilds, and vice versa. One guild is based around cooperative play with a unique golden summon sign that works better for summoning others in your guild. Another is a mutual PvP where you fight for blacksmith materials. The game lets you build your character in any way you like, and is remarkably balanced to give you many options between different weapons, armors, spells, pyromancies, and miracles. The question is, what stats do you need for certain items, and what do you put the leftover stats into? More damage, more stamina+equip weight, more health, or something else?

The environment ranges from jail, forest, castle, crystalline jail+castle, lake, inside a tree, lava filled, sewer, otherworldly, in a church, in a painting, and even more.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Zard : Under-appreciated Games M9vzwh
Number of posts : 4350
User Points : 1045557

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Mon May 14, 2012 12:12 am

Peregrine wrote:How about Freelancer? I thought that was one fantastic game although the only other person who I know played it was DigDog and he didn't like it. Something about there being too much to explore and his OCD flared up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHAPSs5XrSQ

Anyway Freelancer was a space flight simulator in the future that starts after this cutscene in the sirius system. You're trading some boron to some guy and things go a bit sideways, the station you're on explodes, only one escape pod launches, you end up in Liberty space, and your pal gets carted away by paramedics upon landing with you reminding them of the importance of him living as he still owes you some credits for the boron regardless of whether or not it exploded with the rest of the station.

Cue the actual game.

Like I said it's a space flight sim, so most of the fighting is starfighter dogfights, although you can use a frigate if you are so inclined. If you're a merchant some people believe that frigates are a good idea as they carry a lot more cargo, although I tried it once and got blown out of the sky before I even made it halfway to my target so I stick with fighters.

Anyway so you can buy lots of different starships, customize them with even more different weapons, get in with factions, take on jobs, hunt down pirates, commit piracy, explore, whatever you want. The exploration is coolest whatever DigDog says as most systems have something new to offer, fields of crystalized ice to fly through, stars colliding, nebulae (sometimes radioactive nebulae, oh dear), asteroid fields you can mine, everything you need from a space simulator. There's a main quest as well but I wont get into it, other than to say it's well written and really cool.

So....Firefly:The Game?

Might have to check it out.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Mon May 14, 2012 8:03 am

Dark Souls isn't under-appreciated.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Mon May 14, 2012 8:41 am

DigDog wrote:Dark Souls isn't under-appreciated.

This. It's talked about regularly.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Mon May 14, 2012 9:40 am

Cial wrote:
DigDog wrote:Dark Souls isn't under-appreciated.

This. It's talked about regularly.

People on TR take it as a joke. It has a small community of players, people haven't even been able to agree on a PvP level, most just speculate on 120, 50, 80, etc. Many people don't even know what it is and just think "Oh its that impossibly tough game that can't be any fun because it is difficult." Or, they just don't even know that it has a story, or many of the features it has.
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Mon May 14, 2012 10:08 am

That doesn't mean it's under-appreciated.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Erik Mon May 14, 2012 11:05 am

Because nobody knows what it is its not under appreciated?
Erik
Erik
Soul Collector

Back to top Go down

Post by Rage Mon May 14, 2012 11:50 am

You know what needs more money? Cave Story. Throw some at it.
Rage
Rage
I've covered wars, you know

Zard : Thoru's Zard
Number of posts : 2143
User Points : 220239

http://www.zimpfer.net

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Tue May 15, 2012 12:52 am

I believe Cave Story has enough popularity by now, seeing how it is for sale on Steam and was in a Humble Bundle recently. I bet it won't be long and they bring it to the DS or some other handheld.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Tue May 15, 2012 1:48 am

I already have Cave Story on my 3DS and they just made Cave Story 3D which I plan to pick up.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Wed May 16, 2012 3:58 am

were they free? Because if they weren't YOU WERE SCAMMED!
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Zard : Under-appreciated Games Whitecc
Number of posts : 3156
User Points : 228791

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Wed May 16, 2012 4:07 am

Unless they come on a cartridge, then they should be allowed to charge you for the production costs.

Which reminds me that Cave Story on Steam isn't free. I mean it's not expensive, but still.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Wed May 16, 2012 4:31 am

I'm fine with paying 10 bucks to play Cave Story ported awesomely.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Wed May 16, 2012 4:51 am

BUYERS REMORSE GENERAL
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Wed May 16, 2012 4:57 am

It's the same game, but the money goes to the devs and I can play it on my handheld with extra features.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim Hortans Wed May 16, 2012 5:04 am

wow you keep telling yourself that while you quietly weep over your lighter wallet
Tim Hortans
Tim Hortans
In a bin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cial Wed May 16, 2012 5:14 am

It was $10. And it's not like there's another way to get it on a handheld anyway.
Cial
Cial
I am your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by DigDog Wed May 16, 2012 5:22 am

Actually there is. There is always another way.
DigDog
DigDog
I'm not your mother

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next